The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Wolsey's study

Go down 
+4
Thomas Cromwell
Lorenzo Campeggio
Nan Saville
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Lorenzo Campeggio
Bishop of Winchester
Lorenzo Campeggio

Wolsey's study - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 am

Lorenzo terrified of Wolsey's courage.His lips dried up and he tried to smile

"Of course.. The pope will do its part.Henry must be sure.. Let's go and talk with him.. If appropriate.."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Wolsey smiles at him, satisfied for the moment.
' Very well, we speak to him tomorrow morning. It's getting late, Lorenzo and I have prepared rooms for you, but perhaps you'd like to drink another wine with me?'
Back to top Go down
Lorenzo Campeggio
Bishop of Winchester
Lorenzo Campeggio

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Lorenzo coughed longish.

"Ah my dear Thomas..You know how much I love wine..But my heart is jamming.." He smiled "Old age is a very difficult thing.."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Wolsey frowned when he heard Lorenzo cough but then smiled conspiratorially.
' I know, Lorenzo, I know! With the age come the defects... my bones are also not longer as smooth. But I've heard that a wine is good for the heart! I understand though if you want to retreat yourself in your rooms, my friend.'
Back to top Go down
Lorenzo Campeggio
Bishop of Winchester
Lorenzo Campeggio

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:24 pm

Lorenzo shakes his head and turns to Wolsey again

"Almost forgot..There are some rumors.About the King and his mistress.What was her name..Whatever.People says, he wants to marry her.Is it true? King and his mistress?"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 10:47 am

Wolsey just ordered more wine when his smile freezes on his face.
He takes a few big mouthfuls wine and rubs his chin, thoughtfully.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

' I will speak totally honest to you, Lorenzo, since we are old friends, you and I... yes, the King has a mistress he wants to remarry, her name is Anne Boleyn and she is a... good and believer woman.'

He looks at him, almost pleading.
' It's not more than natural that Henry will seek another wife after... this marriage will be over! He has to think about the future of England and he needs an heir, a male heir to his throne!'
Back to top Go down
Lorenzo Campeggio
Bishop of Winchester
Lorenzo Campeggio

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Lorenzo shakes his head.Henry was right.He smiles,,

"Yes he should have a son..But he is a young man and..That woman..Anne Boleyn..She is only a mistresss.She has no title.She is not Royal."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Wolsey shakes his head and doesn't answer for a while.
'No, she's not royal, indeed... but she is young and probably able to give him his long-awaited son!

He shrugs and looks at him with a vague smile.
'Well, we are not as far yet... first we will annull this present marriage and who knows what happens in the meantime? Perhaps he grows tired of her and marries some royal princess after all...' he bows his head and rubs his eyebrows.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Both Cardinals talked for a while and finally Campeggio left, leaving Wolsey behind in great stress, uncertain about the outcome of the meeting with the King on the next day.

A servant enters, bows and hands him a parchment with only three words: I am back!
His face lights up and he tells the servant: ' Please, ask Cromwell if he can come at once!'
He leans back in his chair, waiting for his friend.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 9:19 pm

After a few minutes Cardinal could hear increasingly audible steps. The servant opened the door and Cromwell's silhouette appeared at once. He approached Wolsey's table and bowed deeply.
'Your Eminence...' he drew himself up and looked at him curiously.
'What can I do for you?' smiled slightly and put his hands together.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Wolsey was writing a letter to the Pope but stood up as he heard footsteps coming closer.
When he noticed Cromwell's appearance, he smiled widely and could barely wait for him to bow.
He walked over to him, grabbing him friendly by the shoulders to greet him and then showed him a chair, talking to him ceaseless.

' Cromwell, finally! I began to worry about you, I'm glad to see you in good shape and not attacked by anyone... Please, sit down at the fireplace, there's a lot to discuss, many things have happened while you were in Yorkshire, I want to know everything about your investigations, but first: do you fancy a wine with me?'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Cromwell mixed up a little as Wolsey had never welcomed him in such a warm way but he tried not to show this and smiled.
'Of course, with pleasure. Thank you, cardinal.' he approached the chair and sat down looking at the roaring fire in the fireplace and then followed Wolsey's moves.
'Well... In Yorkshire people were indignant as the local abbey came across as the fullest of mercy. They started offending the king and also...' paused for a moment.
'...some claimed king's closest counselors should be removed from their positions.' glanced at Wolsey watching his reaction. 'They blasphemed, but nothing more took place there. I also went to Blackpool as it was en route, and the situation there was far worse than in Yorkshire.' frowned and blinked fastly as he was bringing to mind as many details of his journey as he remembered.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Wolsey made a gesture to the servant, and poured himself the wine in precious Venetian glasses.
He followed Cromwell's gaze and held up one of them, it shone in the light of the flames.
' Beautiful, aren't they? I'm so glad you sent these glass bowers to me, now I try to persuade them to open a business here, with me as largest customer, I suppose!'

He sat down and listened attentive at his experiences in the departments, smiling compassionate.
' Well, I knew they would not recieve you as a saviour, but I'd never thought them to act that rude! Offending the King himself!' he frowned and shook his head in shock.

' I assume you stayed patient yourself and have the matter neatly explained as I told you to do... or did you start a fight and burn the whole place down?' he laughed and rubbed his eyebrows.
' Well, I have to be patient myself, I think, it's not easy for them to understand that all these dissolutions of the more little and expensive enclosures is in their own interest! ...They have not recieved my letters, than?'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 8:18 pm

'Indeed, they are unusual...' took another glass and took a look at it's pattern. Then he tasted the wine carefully and then savoured it knowing its flavour.
'Oh yes, the sellers would be definitely delighted and would surely benefit much from you.' nooded as he heard of his resentment of the inhabitant's behaviour in relation to the king. When he heard of burning down the abbey, he smiled mysteriously and a sparkle showed up in his eye. Then was gradually becoming serious and glanced earnestly at Wolsey.
'Why not? They truly deserve this!' although he couldn't stop himself from a wide smile after a few seconds of suspense. Immerged his gaze into the wine.
'Supposedly, they did not receive anything, what is more, they were not expecting this at all. In Blackpool priests rised openly against the suggestion of closing. They feel by no means guilt of their behaviour.' raised his head and met Wolsey's glance. 'I am willing to bring you my report on this matter.'
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Wolsey looked at Cromwell with undisguised satisfaction. He enjoyed that he could appreciate his good taste.
' Well, I'll buy some glasses for you, my friend!' he spoke warmly.

When he answered that they deserved it to be burned he held his breath, smiling in relief when Cromwell laughed himself after a few moments.
' You... naughty man! I knew you would make a mess and make me ashamed of you! Now I have to write even more letters to apologize for your behaviour!' He looked punitive at him but could not maintain and burst out in laughter.

' Thomas, Thomas, you make me laugh again! And God is my witness: there is not much to laugh nowadays...'
he sighed and became serious again.
' Well, I look forward to your report, meanwhile, is there any news on the progress of the construction of the Great Quadrangle at Cardinal College? Can you see the shape of a cloister already? Are they working well on it?' he looked at him, hesitant to find out all news about his school at Oxford.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 7:10 pm

'Thank you, Your Eminence. You are too generous.' bowed with his head and took a sip of the wine while Wolsey was gagging and then mentioning present difficult times; nooded listening to that.
'You are absolutely right, the world is full of cruelty and lies. Many priests are an excellent example of this! We should go there together and kill them all, not write any letters with an apology!' laughed quietly, but then, asked about cardinal's undertaking, focused on his captured information and turned the glass in his hands.
'I will bring you the report even today. Well... I must say projects of the cloister and its shape looks more and more impressive which is visible indeed, but people work rather slowly on it and they haven't done much since my last visit. Unfortunately I did not receive explanations, though I am going to find out what the reason of delay is.' said decisively and started planning in his head. 'I will visit Oxford again very soon.'
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm

' No, I thank you! I'm not totally happy with the news you bring me, but I know for sure you defend my interests and work quick and orderly !'

His eyes glistened while he listened to his bold plan.
' You can see it all happen, don't you! Me, in full regalia on my mule and you in your black robe on a black horse, in full gallop, killing every living soul we lay our eyes on!' He laughed but shook his head, a little shocked by his own fantasy.
' Well, I'd better just wait on your report and then decide how to act, but it could be necessary indeed to go there myself and explain them again why we intend to close their monasteries...' he sighed and took a sip of the wine, while Cromwell told him the latest news about his projects.
' Even though slowly, they keep on working and I can imagine the delay since they have absolute orders not to disturb the students! But I'd like you to keep an eye on them, they work better when they are checked regularly.'

He was silent for a while, staring into the flames, then suddenly turned to Cromwell.
' Listen, we had some panic here since the oat crop harvest failed by the sweating sickness and I was surrounded by a crowd of complaining people because they could not buy bread anymore. I promised them they could send their bills to me, but I want you to take care of the financial settlement. I had a talk with our finance minister sir Thomas More who agreed, so I like this to become a law: after every oat crop harvest failure the people will have their bread for free, at the expense of the Kingdom! What do you think of that?!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 8:26 pm

'On the mule? You must forgive me, as I suppose it would look very comically!' smiled again and then nooded as he heard of Wolseys tentative plan.
'If you will be ready, I can organize your expedition to Yorkshire if you give me the nod, Your Eminence.' Then he listened carefully to explanation related to the Oxford school.
'I will check them as often as possible. I hope to see a progress in a few months... Now I understand what was the reason... Just students.' shrugged his shoulders. For the moment the main voice in the room became silence. Cromwell was lost in a reverie, but suddenly Wolsey dropped a line and presented the idea of giving people free bread.
'Um... It is a... Very daring idea...' frowned and nooded slightly looking at Wolsey with the astonishment. He took a dim view of this case.
'In my opinion... It could be a very expensive undertaking which could eventually empty the treasury... Of course I realise that such failures take place barely in our history and nothing wrong would happen if we took the liberty of doing it once now, but I don't really have faith for it... Though this is your decision and I will of course stand by it. Perhaps my opinion could change, I may not realize how rich the king is.'
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

Wolsey chuckled.
'Not only I would ride on my mule, I would take the whole procession including the two golden crosses and everything that belongs to it with me.... well, we'd better drop the plan, because we would not come forward!'
Still smiling, he took a sip of the wine and became serious again.

' I'm not sure if and when I could go there myself, since the King needs me here... I suppose I have to write letters though I can't imagine what more I should explain! I already wrote about their new functions and the pensions they will recieve, well, I'll think about it!' He sighed and shook his head.

' Just keep checking them indeed, Thomas, though it's not just students, they are the main reason for all these improvements! I want them to study in an inspiring environment!' he spoke persuasive, this was an important subject as was the handing of free bread to the people. He remarked the hesitation in Cromwell's words.
' You are right, this is an extraordinary situation and will rarely happen, but when it happens, the King should look after his subjects...you haven't seen them, Thomas, they were desperate and so...emaciated.' he rubbed his eyebrows.
' Well, sir More will submit this proposal to the King... we'll see about his reaction.' *

He frowned and leaned over to Cromwell.
' Spoken of the King... he is not willing at all to make peace with the Spanish Emperor! He feels strengthened by our ally with the French and is neglecting and even offending the Spanish... Charles V has captured two of our own ambassadors and left me no other choice than to imprison the Spanish ambassador Mendoza as well!'

* OOC It has become law indeed!
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 4:47 pm

'I understand. I am ready to become your travelling companion at any time. I hope to finally solve the problem of monasteries.' he drunk whole wine and put his glass on a small table next to him. Then Wolsey told him about the importance of presence of students. He thought that Wolsey must really love all these people. He has just noticed how hired Wolsey was.
'You are very mindful, then... I hope they will appreciate your effort and... graduate with great results!' raised his eyebrows slightly. Then he got an answer about niggling matter of helping people with food.
'Well, if they really suffer that much it could be a good thing... It will surely affect king's profile and his subjects will love him more than ever. But Henry should be careful as if we give someone an inch, they could take a mile.' said quietly glancing at Wolsey and then at fire again. Then Wolsey got over shocking for Cromwell news. Looked at him surprised.
'Have I just heard well? He confines our ambassadors? But... They haven't done anything wrong, he should have no right to do so as they simply implement king's orders and they surely didn't offent Charles or the Spanish! Or perhaps I don't know about this... However, he should be ashamed of this. I believe that imprisoning Mendoza will help and Charles will quickly change his mind. King's caprice!' he snickered a little outraged.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 am

'Yes, we will keep attention to these monasteries... though I must admit there are other matters now with more priority.'
Wolsey took another sip and stared into the flames, frowning.
'...like the personal matter of the King, you know Campeggio has finally arrived with full authority from the pope to make a decision. I spoke with him and he seems cooperative, but I must admit I have my doubts on him, because he won't show me the bull. I think I have to urge him to handle this quickly though I was chocked to see his condition, he has become an old man!' he sighed and shook his head.

He laughed at Cromwell's words about the students.
'Well, a lot of them are rich men's sons and need to be stimulated because they are not used to work, even though they are smart. My efforts are more to the comfort of the poor, who really want to study and achieve a better position.'

He listened at his comment about the situation with the Spaniards.
'It's difficult to negotiate with the Emperor... he is unreliable and wants to control whole Europe! We have to stand up against him and keep strengtening our ally with the French. Unofficially we are at war with the Spanish, though we lack the means to send soldiers right now to support Francis. I tried to make peace with the Emperor and the Pope but it didn't work, so we have another problem right now to face: our export to the Low Lands has completely stopped since they are also under the supervision of the Emperor!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm

'Perhaps the pope has sent him here... just to find out how the matter of divorce is going. Campeggio may lie that he will help and make the definitive decision, but meanwhile he might keep in touch with the pope and get him over all captured information which can bring new ideas to his mind about stopping the divorce. Perhaps I am wrong now, but you should be wary of him. We can't fully trust even to pope's emissaries.' said with visible let-down.
'Oh yes, the students will reach a good position indeed when they tell their employers about graduating from such a prestigious school where you were the one who cared for it, one of the closest and most respected king's friends!' smiled and nodedd respectfully. Then shook his head with displeasure when he heard of freezing on export.
'It sounds badly... I suppose this problem should be presented to the Queen Catherine. She loves His Majesty and she could try to write the Emperor a letter about unhappiness he brings her with his manoeuvres which influence England, her present home and country of her beloved husband, in negative way. Charles cares about Catherine, I believe he wouldn't leave her in need.'
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:07 pm

' You could be right...' Wolsey spoke and sighed deeply.
' Normally the Pope would grant this annullment without blinking his eyes.. as he has done before! '
He took his glass and without tasting he drank it at once, frowning while he put his glass on the table again.
' ... but the timing is really bad, he is torn between the Emperor and the Reformists and has to act carefully. He will surely take no risks on behalf of Henry, who is far away from him and who always obeyed him... and there is his mistake! I sent him letters and also bishop Gardener to make him clear that Henry might turn away from the Catholic Church in Rome!'

He shivered and shook his head, then covered his eyes with his hands.
' I do everyting within my power to give Henry this divorce, but he'd better ask for the moon, for this is not as easy as he thinks for me to handle!' Suddenly he lifted his head and looked at him with fierce eyes.
'... and what about me, what's in it for me? I make him divorce from a queen who hates me, and drive him right into the arms of another lady who hates me! He sent me to France to negotiate about Francis' sister to marry him, and when I came back I found ... her on his side! And when I was in France, he sent a messenger to the Pope with ridiculous demands, I know this because I intercepted him!' He shook his head once more.
' I had to take this case into my own hands... I know I'm the only one who could handle it... but I'm afraid this is out of my reach!'

He thought about the proposal to ask the Queen to write a letter to the Emperor.
'It might work... though I think she will not cooperate... but it's worth the try, isn't it? By the way, the Dutch regent is at court right now, I 'll make a truce with her. She is a good friend of sir Thomas More, I'll ask him first to repair the trade!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 am

'Well I... Must admit that your position is rather hard now... King is still young and unfortunately his fresh mind changes very often especially if we talk about women... At least we should hope that this is the only matter of this size that has ever happened, although His Majesty seems so in love with Lady Anne, he could easily get bored with her and everything could repeat over and over again!' sighed and put his hand on Wolsey's shoulder in a friendly gesture.
'At least I will support you whatever takes. Maybe you can handle it only yourself... but you are not alone.' glanced at Wolsey with honesty in his eyes.
'If there is anything I can do, I will. You know that. I am ready to help.' he tapped his shoulder slightly.
'But now other than that: what did Henry demand from the Pope? Were these things unable to materialise?' asked curiously and frowned.
'Sometimes the most ridiculous ideas may surprise and help...' then Wolsey mentioned the presence of a Dutch lady at court.
'Yes, you should try... And then we can try with the Queen. It would be necessary to tell the king about this situation at first. Then he would have told her about his pain and then it could have probably worked as she is his... obedient servant I suppose.' nodded slightly.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Wolsey felt grateful when Cromwell put his hand on his shoulder and assured him of his support. He looked up at him with gratitude in his eyes and tapped his hand for a moment.
' Yes, it's hard... you know, I never payed attention at his... liaisons.' He smiled and shrugged.
'... There were, let's say, many and they were over before they even started. Sometimes one of them came to me telling me she was pregnant and I handled it discreetly... but this time, it seems different. She is always with him, sometimes arguing with me, sometimes just staring at me, with her hand on his arm!' he sighed deeply.

'I'm very happy with your support, Thomas, though I rather don't want to involve you in this... but I keep your offer in mind, I promise you!' he smiled warmly at him.
'I will tell you what he demanded of the Pope. He sent doctor Knight with two documents: the first asking the Pope to allow him -once divorced- to remarry a woman of his own choice, even if that would be someone who would normally be forbidden because of a previous relation with one of her family members!' he laughed uncomfortable.
'I must admit, I had no idea what this was all about! Doctor Knight had to tell me about Anne - and her sister Mary!'
He rolled his eyes. 'It came as a shock, especially since I offended her right before my departure by asking her why a silly girl like her wanted to visit the king? At that time I knew I'd made an enormous mistake by neglecting his love affairs, well... I will not make that mistake again for certain! Anyway, the second document was even worse: he wanted the Pope - if he could not declare his present marriage by any means illegal or invalid - to agree and allow Henry to take another wife!'
He was silent for a while to settle his words. 'You understand, Thomas, he asked the Pope to allow bigamy!'

He shook his head and rubbed his eyebrows.
'Of course I had to let him go and wished him luck on his yourney, but he achieved just one thing: the Pope's attention was now drawn to lady Anne and that did no good on his Matter! And now he wants an annullment instead of a divorce, to clear up his mind. And he found himself the perfect bible citate to support this: "when a man takes his brother's wife, childless they'll be!"
You know, since Henry was the second child, he was raised to become a man of the cloth himself, perhaps a cardinal... something to remember!'

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wolsey's study
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next