The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Wolsey's reception room

Go down 
+5
Jane Craven
Royce Westmoreland
Edward Craven
Diane de Poitiers
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Servant told him that Cardinal Wolsey was busy with a man. Rather irritated, he shook his head and took a deep breath. Although, wondering what's he had to talk him about, he decided to wait patiently outside the door
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 pm

He smiled as he spoke and then nodded,"Of course and yes perhaps we may leave but for now I see us being quite content here for the foreseeable future...I would be happy to do as she wishes..."

"Well I received an education off of scholars and tutors when I grew up. I learned of science and philosophy but also languages and jousting, archery and music. My father was a gentleman of the privy council for His Majesty and too the late king. He...died at Christmas..."

He lowered his voice a little,"I also know discretion is important especially during this time- with regards to The Kings Great Matter."

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:47 pm

He nodded while listening, his hands folden under his chin.
'I see... well for now we'll assume you stay here.'

Then he listened to his story, pleased by his education and when he spoke about his father he sighed.
'My sincere condolences, Lord Craven. I never mentioned this to your sister, but I knew him very well, even considered him a friend. Lately our contacts watered down, unfortunately, it's why I did not know about his death because I would have attended his funeral for sure! '

He was silent for a while, thoughtfull.
'You are absolutely right about discretion, this is one of the main demands. It 's also important that His Majesty will accept you himself in his inner circle. Have you ever met him in person?'
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 pm

He listened intrigued as he spoke. His father often spoke of Wolsey but he never knew more of their relationship.

"He had been unwell since the summer he caught an illness when he was in London for business and never regained full health. Thankfully my brother lives near our family home where we grew up so at least my mother is not alone. I am sure he would have understood that you could not attend...everything was done to honour him."

He sipped on the water,"A few times but never alone...except once. When one is in court it is of course a regular occurrence seeing His Majesty. I met him during a jousting tournament when I was still a boy and had just became King..."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Wolsey lowered his head while listening.
'I am sorry to hear this.' he spoke softly. '... though I am pleased to hear he was given the honour he deserved and also that your mother is not left alone.'

He shook his head and glanced at him, smiling when he talked about the king.
'Ahh, you met him long ago... well, he has not changed that much!' he chuckled.

'Well, your father knew him very well of course and the king was also fond of him, so that is an advantage.' he added.
'I guess your father has told you about the function so you know all about it. Did he also tell you about his collaboration with me?' he asked curiously.
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:15 pm

He smiled as The Cardinal spoke, eager to hear more of his father that he never knew before.

"Unfortunately not, Your Eminence. My father always kept his...business private. Never spoke of any serious matters in court for fear there may be repercussions...He only spoke kindly of your friendship and when you were younger men together...studying philosophy, I believe?"

His mind then turned to Alfonsina. He was so happy she would soon be his wife but worried after her health...hopefully by Gods good grace she will be well...

He then added," Of course I know Your Eminence is a learned man has studied many subjects..."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 10:15 am

Wolsey nodded approvingly.
'Yes, your father was a very discreet man... I am happy to learn he never spoke about his business at court! And indeed... we have known eachother a very long time, in fact we studied arts together and afterwards your father studied philosophy and I divinity, but we shared lessons like Latin and stayed in touch.' he smiled at the memory, then shrugged and wiped discreet his eyes.

He stood up, frowning and looked at the duke. He liked him, he was perfectly suitable for the job, but he needed to be sure he could rely on him.
'... talking of business, I make it my business to know the King's business! Every thing, I mean every little detail of his personal life can be of importance to the whole realm. So when I appoint a member to the Privy Council I demand absolute loyalty to the King... and to me!'
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 10:47 am

He listened carefully as The Cardinal gave him a stern warning,"Oh of course, Your Eminence-I understand..."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Wolsey looked intense at the duke, then walked over to him and put a hand on his shoulder.
'I am glad you understand... like your father did. He and I worked perfectly together, but those were different times.' he sighed and walked back to his chair, though he did not sit down.

'.... there is much more at stake now, my Lord! You know about the King's Great Matter... it could change the kingdom forever! ' he frowned, how could he tell him that the king was so in love that he had no eyes for his own kingdom anymore? He could not say that, he never said anything bad about his master.

'I will be honest to you. When you work for me, I am a generous boss, but when I feel I can't trust you, I will remove you without hesitation. It's not a secret, I have done this often in the past, I need men around the king who work for him with the same intention as I, namely in the interest of the whole realm. So, tell me, my Lord, can I fully trust on your loyalty?'
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:48 pm

He sensed an almost sadness to The Cardinal's tone and despite his somewhat imposing manor in the deceptively sumptuous surroundings he thought perhaps The Cardinal sought merely a friendship that once was instead of the splendour he was now accustomed to.

He sipped on the water,"Oh indeed ... I think it a most dangerous time in which most are not free from the harsh realities of court..."

He then continued to listen to Wolsey's stern warning. He, as much as he disliked their consuming ambition...The Boleyns, he did have to admire their boldness. Anne Boleyn was now famous, even outside of court and his father never liked what he had heard of her. His father was indeed willing with change and encouraged it - recognising that it was essential for the progression of His Majesty and his realm thus making him one of His Majesty and His fathers favourites in court.

His father taught him well-to serve His Majesty was to serve God. Although his brother and Edward were also told of the pious and kind Queen Katherine. However these times were dangerous and it was a truth universally acknowledged that Her Majesty was indeed fighting and valiantly so but ultimately doomed for failure in her cause.

He nodded once more,"Yes indeed, Your Eminence...To serve His Majesty is...to serve God..."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Finally he sat down, pleased by his answer and put his fingertips against eachother.
'I think we understand each other, My Lord. Serving the king is to serve God... ' he smiled kindly.

He reflected for a while, thinking about his father who used to say the same words. He proved to be a very able man, for years they worked excellent together and he trusted him completely.
It would be a godsend to work with his son as well... though he had to be careful, he had the same thought about his sister and so far she disappointed him. He smiled at himself, probably she was influenced by the queen´s appearance and the queen disbelieved him. She would not understand that he had to know for example what the Spanish ambassador told her in private so he could keep an eye on the man´s intrigues. He took another sip of water and sighed.

´Well... I will nominate you for the function, but of course, the king must agree. He has the final word. I suggest I will arrange a meeting between him and you so he could talk to you and make a decision. In any case, there is a trial period of several months.´
Back to top Go down
Edward Craven
Duke of Pembroke
Edward Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:19 pm

"A thousand thanks Your Eminence, your efforts are most appreciated...If you do not mind however I must take my leave of you for now..."

The Cardinal Wolsey is indeed a learned man-one in which Edward should like to trust and believes he could. His father was a good judge of character and therefor Wolsey could perhaps be a friend and confidant. He has been kind and most generous but Edward wanted to see Alfonsina to ensure she was well.

He placed his goblet on the Cardinal's desk and stood,"I must see my future wife..."

He bowed respectfully and smiled,"I hope to hear soon from Your Eminence."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:08 am

He smiled friendly, stood up and approached him.
'Well, I myself am also pleased... and of course I don't mind because I think I immediately receive a new visitor.'

He walked with him to the door.
'You will hear soon from me, Lord Craven.' he bowed his head for a moment and watched as a servant opened the door for him.

When he left, Wolsey walked back to his chair and he pondered for a while. He sincerely hoped he had found a good employee who would serve the king and himself well. The first impression was promising, like his sister he was well-educated and well-mannered. Well, time would tell.

He gestured to the servant that he could let the Duke of Westmoreland enter.
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 10:33 pm

As servant called him, Royce entered in the room. He looked curiously at the man who was leaving and bowed respectfully in front of Cardinal

Your Eminence...did you want to see me?

He asked raising his eyes, looking a bit annoyed
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Wolsey stood up when the Duke entered and bowed his head slightly to him.
He noticed the annoyance in his eyes and raised unobtrusive an eyebrow, though he smiled friendly.

'Ahh... the Duke of Westmoreland, welcome, we have never officially met before so I am very pleased to meet you finally in person, please, sit down, my Lord!' He showed him a chair right in front of his desk.

'Yes, I wanted to see you about ... several matters, but first; can I offer you a drink? Juice, water, perhaps a glass of wine?'
Back to top Go down
Jane Craven
Duchess of York
Jane Craven

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 pm

A note arrives for The Cardinal Wolsey...It reads...

"Your Eminence,

I am sure you are aware now of my arrival in court. It has been so long but corridors and rooms still seem unchanged-although my current situation certainly has. My estates in which I once dwelled with my husband and young family are now empty-with only me to reside in them.

I do so miss when you visited us-I enjoyed the debates you and my dear husband had and though I did not so often contribute I always admired your learnedness and of course my husbands.

Thomas died on the 27th day of December after a year of constant battles of illnesses and fatigue-he welcomed death and said it would be well received respite from the pain. He did speak of you and asked after your health-though it had been so long I am afraid I was ill informed and could only hope you were still well.

I should like to see soon as it would I believe bring me much pleasure and hope it would you. If I may be so bold as well, Your Eminence-I ask after Joan, I heard you often sig her praises and hope you are still happily living together.

I ask if you may write to me and perhaps we could talk before my sons wedding as I intend to leave soon after...

Your Trusted Friend

Jane Craven
Dowager Duchess of Windsor."
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Royce sat on the chair and tried to smile. Then nodded slowly

A glass of water will be enough, thank you. I'm glad too meeting you in person, Your Eminence. I still know very few people at court. So...tell me: what can I do for you?

He asked without hesitation, looking directly at him
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Wolsey frowned as a servant gave him a parchment and smiled apologetical at the Duke of Westmoreland.
'Excuse me, my Lord, I need to see this, it will not take long.' Quickly his eyes scanned the note and when he realized that it was sent by the widow of his old friend, he smiled warmly.
He took another parchment and wrote in his own hand a short reply. He handed it to the servant who was still waiting and whispered at him.
'I invite Lady Craven to have dinner with me in my private rooms. I want you to hand her this parchment personally and wait for her reply, when she accepts, go to my cook and tell him to make a dinner... and also tell Joan, please.'

He waited for the servant to leave the room and then turned to the Duke again.
'Thank you, my Lord... well, I think it's time you and I will get to know each other better... considering the fact you seem to be a friend of the princess Cordelia... a close friend, I think!' he looked significant at him.
'So please, tell me something about yourself, my Lord.'
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Royce smiled weakly and took a deep breath

Well...there is not so much to say, Your Eminence. I came here at court a year ago from Scotland. I'm King's James best friend. I'm not noble by birth, but he made me Duke, giving me a little dukedom here in England, whose I bring the name. But above all...I'm a warrior. I spent almost all my life on battlefield, fighting by James's side....

He smiled a bit, before adding

Usually...people feared me there. Especially in my village. They called me Black Wolf. Maybe...because I'm rather lonely, and I don't love courtlife very much. Then...one day James decided to send me here to find a wife. According with his cousin King Henry, of course. I bet they have already found an arrangement about that...

He added thoughtfully, then turned his deep eyes toward him
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Wolsey listened carefully, nodded and smiled kindly at him.
´Ahh... so you are the best friend of king James, well, it´s a pity we never spoke to each other before, a friend of king James is a friend of our kingdom! We are luckily in peace with Scotland and we want to maintain the peace between both our countries!´

He frowned a little while watching him, then asked suddenly.
´Do you have any idea who they have chosen for you, my Lord?'
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Royce laughed, shooking his head

I have no idea...but probably I'll discover it soon. Even if...I don't think you're interested in my private life, Cardinal. So tell me...what do you want, exactly?

He asked, looking curiously at him. He never loved waste his time in unuseful words
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Wolsey stared at him.
´Well... as a matter of fact, I am interested in your private life, Lord Westmoreland!´

He stood up and walked to the closet, opened it and took a casket out.
While he came back, he smiled affably.

´You have not yet been honored for the heroic rescue of the princess Cordelia. I like to give you your reward...´ he put the casket on the desk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

However before the Duke could reach for it, he put a hand on it himself.
´Before you open this, tell me about your relationship with princess Cordelia... what are your feelings for her, My Lord?' he looked almost threatening at him.
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Royce looked astonished at the box and then turned his eyes to him. He never thought of being rewarded for Cordelia's rescue. He took a deep breath after his question

Princess Cordelia is almost a child, Cardinal. There is nothing between us. I rescued her, as you know. But we're just good friends, nothing else. I...I rescpect her virtue...

He explained. Then he gulped, looking around room
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Wolsey nodded slowly.
'Yes, she is almost a child... but you, sir, are not. You should have known better than kissing her in front of the whole court!'

He looked accusingly at him.
'You took advantage of her innocence and of her feelings for you... and that is why I have to ask you to leave court and not return - ever! ' he moved the casket to him.
Back to top Go down
Royce Westmoreland
Duke of Westmoreland
Royce Westmoreland

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Royce looked astinished at him. Then shook his head

Leaving court? I think you have no authority for doing that, Cardinal. Only the King can take such decision! I...I've never took advantage of lady Cordelia. I just kissed her once. An innocent kiss...nothing else...

He succeded to say, trying to remain calm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's reception room   Wolsey's reception room - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wolsey's reception room
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next