The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Norfolk didn't wait for the personal servant of the Cardinal to announce them but walked right after him inside the chamber, waving the documents in his hands.
As Wolsey walked to the door, he glanced around the room and grinned as he saw the pile of papers on his desk, then winked at Brandon. Wolsey turned around and Norfolk approached him.

Your Eminence, we bring you documents from the king. You will have to defend yourself on all charges imposed. He handed him the documents, smiling proudly.

Meanwhile, you will have to leave court and surrender the Great Seal rightaway!he added supercilious.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 pm

"Charles crossed his arms on his chest and nodded slowly as Norfolk spoke. He looked carefully at Wolsey's face to see his reaction"

Then? What do you say, Your Eminence?
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Wolsey listened carefully, nodded slowly and accepted the documents. He took them to his desk, sat down and studied them at ease, his eyes fled over the charges, ranging from praemunire, buying meat at the same price as the king to financial mismanagement, from inability to stop the Lutheran heresies to - he frowned and read it again but it was there - coughing in the vicinity of the king.

He took his time, neglecting the impatient presence of the Dukes, but finally he looked up at them.
'I will be happy to cooperate with the wishes of the king. However, what commission do you have to command me to leave court and hand over the Great Seal?'
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:40 pm

"Charles looked confused at Norfolk. He expected some resistance or deny from it. But Wolsey looked calm, looking at them as they were under King's investigations, and not himself. He bit his lips and waited for Norfolk to talk"
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Norfolk frowned while waiting impatiently and tapped his feet. He expected everything but this calm attitude and it made him feel uncomfortable.
He straightened his back at his question about the commission and answered him haughty.

Do you think we came here without the king's approval? We have his commission, given to us by mouth!
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:12 pm

"Charles nodded after Norfolk's words"

Unless...you have doubts about our word, Your Eminence...

"He added calmly with a fake smile, trying not to show him his irritation"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:08 am

Wolsey leaned back in his chair and shrugged.
´Well, Milords, that is indeed not sufficient for me without a further commandment of the king´s pleasure. For the Great Seal of England was delivered to me by the king´s own person, to enjoy during my life, with the ministration of the office and high room of chancellorship of England, for my surety whereof I have the king´s letters patent to show.´

He smiled friendly but his expression was vigilant.

Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Norfolk felt anger rising. Why couldn't he just accept the inevitable?!
You know like no one else that you can't remain in office while being accused, Your Eminence! he said venomously.

And of course we will get the written authorisation of the king.... this is pure reprieve!' he looked meaningfully at Brandon, hoping he would confirm his statements.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm

"Charles bit his lips and looked angrily at Wolsey. How could he be so bold and stubborn? He nodded nervously"

King's written authorization is just a formality, Cardinal. And you're not in the position for asking special requests. I would be more careful, if I were you...

"He said with neutral tone, looking directly at him"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Wolsey tapped his fingers and raised an eyebrow.
'Well, well, I understand the urgency, gentlemen.... nevertheless, we all want to handle this in the right way, don't we? So just show me the king's written authority and I am most willingly to obey.'

He kept smiling calmly, his eyes glistened. It was his last triumph but he stood in his right and they knew it.

Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 pm

"Charles bit his lips again and looked at Norfolk with a curious glance. He tried to look sure as Wolsey was"

Do you think it's a difficult thing to obtein for us, Eminence? Of course you'll see something written...

"He held his breath for a little while, staring at him"
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Norfolk stared at him and then pointed at him.
Don't tell me you only acted yourself on behalf of the king on the basis of written authorities, Your Eminence!! he spoke dismissive.

He came closer to him, his eyes spit fire.
So let's get along with this instead of playing your eternal games of diplomatic delays!
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:40 pm

"Charles shrugged after Norfolk's words"

Take a choice, Cardinal. Do you want to accept our words...or do you want we report to King your acting way?

"He asked, raising his eyebrow"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Wolsey smiled friendly at them and cocked his head.
'I am sorry to disappoint you, Milords, but the king knows I never took decisions on matters of state without his approval; his written approval, indeed.

He stood up and approached them.
'and since this is also a matter of state..... I would like to offer you a drink but I have this feeling you have other business to do.' he looked at them expectantly.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Norfolk could not believe his eyes, was he actually thrown out of Wolsey's office?
He glanced at Brandon but he only rolled his eyes and shrugged.

Wolsey looked defiantly at him and suddenly he grinned, he knew when he was overthrown.
Allright, Cardinal, you win this game, though not the battle. Enjoy your day and see you soon, very soon, Your Eminence! Come with me, Charles.

He bowed slightly and left the room quickly.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 pm

"Charles bowed with his head, staring at Wolsey"

I bet we'll meet again soon, Cardinal. Have a nice day...

"Then bit his lips and followed Norfolk out of the room"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Wolsey watched them leave the room in silence, still smiling but as they left, he walked with difficulty to his desk and sat down again. He stared at the documents without reading and rested his head in his hands, frowning deeply.
It was a bitter victory but actually also a funny one. He chuckled softly. Cromwell was right after all, his advice once again valuable.
Cromwell! He needed to see him at once and show him the documents.
He collected them quickly and left the room hastily.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Wolsey read a book, waiting for Norfolk and Brandon to come back with the authorisation of the king which they had obtained undoubtedly.
He sighed deeply as he tried to keep calm, he was not used to wait himself and he was certainly not used to read a book instead of viewing quickly lots of documents to decide which of them had priority to handle directly.

A movement at the door captured his attention and he looked up, resigned. It was time.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Norfolk swept the door open and kept it wide open so the people in the lobby could share their triumph.
He smiled widely as he saw the cardinal sitting quietly.

Cardinal Wolsey! he exclaimed louldy. You are herewith accused of praemunire, meaning exercising power as papal legate in the realm of the king and thus infringe the authority of the king! he smiled triumphantly.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm

"Charles walked into room after Norfolk, holding the precious paper with him. Even if hidden from Wolsey's eyes. He showed him a bold smile and nodded after Norfolk's words"
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norfolk stared at Wolsey´s painfully contorted face and added.
You will be relieved of all your functions and all your goods will pass into the hands of the king. He nodded at Brandon who stood behind Wolsey.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:41 pm

"Charles nodded and looked at Wolsey, still immobile on his chair"

You are dismissed from your posts, Cardinal. And your assets will go to the King...

"He said with firm voice, in order to confirm Norfolk's words"
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Wolsey did not say a word as they overtook him. There was a loaded silence, then he cleared his throat.
'Do you have the written order and the seal of the king to do this?' he asked, knowing very well they would not humiliate him in public if not.
Back to top Go down
Charles Brandon
Duke of Suffolk
Charles Brandon

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm

"Charles shrugged and patted the King's signed paper on his shoulder, with a teasing smile on his face"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Norfolk looked satisfied at Wolsey, glancing over his shoulder as Brandon showed him the document.

You are assigned to give back your chain of office and the Great Seal. he told him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office   Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cardinal Thomas Wolsey´s office
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next