The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

The King's Study

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

The King's Study - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 5:27 pm

"Does your heart still rest on a lusty pin." I couldn't tell if my sudden laughter outburst made him feel nervous. Either that or he always played with his shirts whilst in peoples company. I drew the decanter towards me tapping my finger at the top. "I have to decline the royal seal and I think you know why." Unless it was the seal of a queen I would not take it.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:03 pm

He chuckled good naturedly, "No, my shirts are too frayed for to hold a brooch," he replied, making a note to send them to the seamstress for mending. They were worn, a shade of charcoal - different from the crisp white shirts most nobles wore. They were more practical for him though, he spent too much time running about instead of sitting indoors.

He glanced up to her, "Alright," he said unaffected, slightly curious as to why she did not accept but taking no offence,"It was only an offer...but I confess ignorance, I don't know why you cannot accept."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 pm

"No that is not what I meant." I poured myself another whiskey blinking at him a couple of times. "It's a motto that Elizabeth of York used before she met Henry VII. My heart rests upon a lusty pin! I was just making sure that you were not trying to recruit me as a mistress. Hence why I used the words lusty and why I cannot accept the royal seal. My mother would think I had become your mistress if I went home with that." I shook my head hoping to of had an intellectual conversation with the king of Scotland but instead I have thus far confused him and probably insulted him.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:23 pm

He chuckled again, "I know the motto, milady Hamilton; but it is an English woman's words - not mine."

He took a sip of the whiskey, unaffected by what she had said. The notion hadn't crossed his mind, indeed, he was not sure why it would enter her thoughts. Never the less, he shrugged and said, "Many people have my seal but for many different things. For example, farmers in the northern isles have my seal but as protection from rapacious lords, not for any...improper reasons," he said, grinning playfully.

"I can assure you upon my honour," he said, taking another drink and touching his hand to his chest. He was sincere - even though he smiled - his word was his word, he didn't make a promise if he did not mean it, "It was the last thing I thought of."

He then added in a gentlemanly manner, careful not to offend her, "With the greatest of respect and no offence to you."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 7:54 pm

"I have always been fond of the motto even if it comes from an English tongue." I would make this my final drink otherwise we would both be drinking each other under the table. "I have honor too but because you are king I wouldn't have a choice if your lusty eye's should fall upon me. But I am glad that they won't."
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 7:59 pm

"Well - happily - you are at my court. I do not force myself onto anyway, you can be assured," he said with a warm grin, adding under his breath that the English King probably would.

He finished off his drink, placing the glass back on the table as he shuffled in the chair, "Do you have any siblings at court?" he asked curiously.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:12 pm

"I had two brothers." I added emphasis on the word had. My family seemed to be generally unlucky most of our males were soliders. "I'm an only child now which is probably why I am seen as valuable to my stepfather. I would rather live in poverty than had my mother remarry." I blinked covering my eyes .
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:21 pm

He frowned, feeling a little tactless. He had wondered if she had any sisters who could have kept her company in court but now he had carelessly brought up her families misfortune at Flodden.

He felt the same as she did about his own mother remarrying. He would sooner live as a monk than have had his mother remarry the tyrant that she did. None the less, he held his tongue, he couldn't speak of his father without swearing and he gallantly refused to swear in a woman's company.

"Well, if my wife agrees to you joining her household - you shall have a steady income and you needn't be in penury, " he said. He was tempted to confide in her and eventually he did, "My mother...well she remarried too. The man she married was," he shook his head - trying to find the words, "Well he was no friend to me or this land, not even my mother - he served himself alone. He kept me locked up for my childhood - I had to escape to break free from his clutches. I wholeheartedly empathise with you...I do not know your exact troubles but in a way...I can understand."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 pm

I should hate the royal family sometimes it was easier to blame them. I couldn't take out my frustrations on my mother as she was hardly ever alone. It brought me great comfort to know that somehow me and the king had something in common our mothers. "How did you get away from your stepfather? It is like as soon as they married her mind wasn't her own anymore she didn't seem like my mother anymore." I shrugged heavily as I brought my eye's up to his level.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 pm

He laughed - not troubled by what he spoke of now. He never needed his mother's love, he never particularly wanted it, "Well, my mother was never very affectionate. She would tap my head before I went to bed and greet me in mass in the mornings - we rarely spoke and she demonstrated very little love for her only child."

He leaned back into the chair, a smile creeping onto his lips as he recalled the night he escaped, "A lot of running...and climbing," he said with a playful smirk, "Everything was done with great haste. We had staged my escape so while my stepfather went to search for me, I had time to break free and order the army to not let him back in. It was a wonderful night," he said nostalgically.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 pm

"I'm not a very maternal person either. I would rather raise a horse than bear a man a child." I wasn't that bothered what the king thought of that. He was a man they had thing's much more simple than that of us women. "I think it is slightly pathetic that us ladies are made to be so self reliant on you men." Mockingly I pointed a finger at him wiggling it about to and fro. I found the cockles of my heart warming to him as he spoke of his rise to becoming a king. He had this way of captivating you in his story as those I was their with him fighting for him. "And then what happened to your stepfather after? Did you show mercy as a king or did you cut of his wings so he couldn't not fly near ye again."
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 7:51 am

There was something in her that reminded him of his friend Thomas, indeed, many of the guard were like her; a natural strength and desire to go against conventions. It was not many woman who would admit to such a thing but for men to not want children was normal.

He grinned bright and warm as she pointed her finger at him, "Well no one could accuse you of being reliant upon men. Here you are speaking with the King," he said - holding his arms out at his side being playfully theatrical, "And you are here with the help of no man."

He took a sigh before speaking of his stepfather, "To...take his life would have caused rebellion - men were still loyal to him, you see. Yet, it would also secure my own crown...he resides upon the borders at my leisure...for now."

James daren't admit what had been discussed since it was decided Mary would come to live with him. Both his council and his men were finally united in one thing: taking the regents life once Mary was with child. James recognised it was the best course of action but there was also part of him - as much as he hated his stepfather - that felt some loyalty to his stepfather...he raised him more than his mother did and that had to count for something - however little.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 am

I was always told it was rude to stare but in this moment it was all I could actually do. Not breaking my gaze I very unlady likely drank from the decanter. Ask no questions hear no evil I thought as I took another long drag of whiskey. "I feel like I am now involved in murder I can't have blood on my hands." I brushed my hands as though it were too late and they were bloody and sullied."How do you feel about this." It was probably not best to speak about this within the palace walls. You never knew who could be listening right now. I glanced side ways at him trying to leave a hint in my words."Clearly I have drunk you out of whiskey. I'll best get you some more." I was eager perhaps to eager to hear about how he actually felt about it all. He could not trust anyone else to do the job. It would have to be by his hand only.

Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm

He laughed as she stared, the sound warm and good natured. He took the decanter from her and filled his cup again, barely feeling the effects of the drink - except perhaps, a more honest tongue. He placed the empty bottle on the table and replied, "Who spoke of murder?"

There was a playful tone in his words, in truth, he had no notion of taking his step-fathers life...unless he rose against him. In this case it would be an act of treason and he would had no choice. However, he resided quietly and under guard - this was enough to satisfy James' merciful heart, "My step-father is quite well...you needn't worry for his safety - or indeed yours, milady...you are quite safe here."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 am

"I think that it is very brave of her majesty to still come despite of this. I have to say that I don't feel so safe." With a heavy sigh I seated myself back down. A situation like this had occurred before in the war of the roses. Was Scotland to run into a war over an old man just like Henry VI. It was said that Henry did of melancholy on hearing the death of his son. But the likelihood was that he was probably murdered in the tower.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 6:02 pm

He sighed and scratched his beard, "Well," he said deeply, "You are not a prisoner. You are an independent woman - you have your free will. You may leave as and when you like."

Perhaps, he thought, he had been wrong to speak with such candour. Drink did not make him stumble and giggle like a child, but it did reveal the truths of his heart. Folly - perhaps - but he was trusting and he did not detect any malice in her, surely she would not reveal anything spoke of in confidence...indeed, there was little to tell. Until there was cause for his stepfather to be punished then nothing would be done to him. He was not the English King...he did not kill people based on capricious whims.

"Truly, forgive me if I have given you cause to be afraid but I can assure you that no harm shall come to you here."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 10:35 am

"I think I should best be on my way." I had felt as if I had over stayed my welcome. And with his tongue slightly unguarded it was only a matter of time before either one of us insulted each other. I stood from my chair pushing it back beneath the table. "It was lovely to make your acquaintance today your majesty."
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 5:51 pm

James nodded and stood, pushing his chair away and taking a step aside, "Of course, Milady Hamilton," he replied and cleared his throat, brushing his hand through his hair as he walked to the door.

"If you still wish it," he said as he touched the door handle, and opened the door - leaving it slightly ajar.

"I shall speak of your cause to my wife," he said kindly, he genuinely wished to help her in whatever way he could. He was quite assured that she was strong and was genuinely good... but because she was a woman, her circumstances were markedly more difficult than a man's.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 6:45 pm

"You don't owe me anything." I assured him as I made my way to the door. I had forgotten about the other courtiers whilst I had been speaking with the king.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2015 7:18 pm

"Never the less, milady," he said and leaned against the door frame, a serene smile upon his lips,"The offer is there."

He could understand her reluctance to commit to anything. After all, she would be escaping the forced marriage but soon be sworn into another kind of duty. None the less, he was duty bound already and as such he would do what he could to help those who were his people.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 6:40 am

"I shall think about it after all I would be leaving my family and my mother would never speak to me again." Who was I to be more loyal to family or the king! No doubt I would pay the price for being loyal to whom ever I choose to remain with.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm

"Very well," James replied simply with a smile, "Send a letter to either me or the Queen when you have decided."

He padded outside the room briefly with her, the corridors were pleasantly quiet - the sound of a lute strumming a couple of doors down was a change from the usual hushed whispers, "Take care, Milady," he said and leaned against the wall, casually crossing his arms over his strong chest.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Hamilton
Lady-in-waiting
Isabel Hamilton

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2015 5:40 pm

"I shall write to you as soon as I am able to. Take care your majesty until the next time." I bobbed a quick curtsey before leaving. I only looked back once noticing how nonchalant and casual he appeared leaning against the wall. He was an easy person to talk to not harsh or mean in any shape of form.
Back to top Go down
Madeline Stuart
Princess of Scotland
Madeline Stuart

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 7:25 pm

I had not seen James since he returned to the palace which was some weeks ago actually. I could never find him in this palace of his it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. The door to his study was firmly shut as if it were a sign to keep the outside world out. I made the guard knock loudly for me as I didn't want to hurt my hands.
Back to top Go down
James Stuart of Scotland
King of Scotland
James Stuart of Scotland

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 pm

The small council had gathered for a meeting - the first since Mary's coronation. Now the alliance was fully realised the nobility were keen to see rewards reaped. He could have married a princess from some other country, some thought he should have - a Spanish or Italian alliance, perhaps a fellow clans woman...but he married Mary. She was his queen of choice - he would have it no other way. Part of him wished she was by his side but he would not introduce her to the privy council yet - he would protect her from them for now.

"What we really wish to know," one elderly noble began - his voice thin and wiry, "Is when we shall see the fruits of, Your Majesty's...labour...we are under the impression you have quite neglected other duties in favour of our new Queen's bed."

James rolled his eyes at the comment, he did not take their archaic points to heart. He knew the council would want the security of an heir - so did he but he knew the pressure Mary would be under...they had time and she had only been in the country a little over a month. His friend, Ralph beside him, did not take it so lightly. Loyal to a fault he rose from his chair, ready to pounce but the door clattered and James held him back.

"Who is it?" James called above the chatter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The King's Study   The King's Study - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The King's Study
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next