The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Quiet Corner in the Chapel

Go down 
+2
Joan Champernowne
Anthony Denny
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 11:43 am

"I know that you are married my lady I did not mean for you to be my misress all I want is to know whether you have a son because I am looking for a suitable marriage for my youngest daughter". "Let me know what you think?"
Back to top Go down
Margaret Wyatt
Lady-in-waiting
Margaret Wyatt

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 am

Margaret looked at him, still very suprised for his words "I feel honoured, my lord. But..actually, I am not that old. I have no children, yet. But thank you for your consideration.." She answered, still wondered what Howards's were planning

Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am

" Oh I am sorry I did not know. Would you care to maybe think of a marriage proposal between my son Henry and yourself?"
Back to top Go down
Margaret Wyatt
Lady-in-waiting
Margaret Wyatt

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Margaret smiled weakly. But she was rather perplexed. So she took a breath, trying to be kind "I am flattered by your proposal, Your Grace. But, as I already told you, I am already married. Probably you know my husband, sir Anthony Lee.." She said, wondering why Howard's were so interested in arranging marriages. Especially before Lady Anne Boleyn's marriage to the King
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 am

"I have not her of him my lady. I believe that you told me you were not married and that you were available for my son".

"I would like it if you are happy to attend my niece's marriage to the king which will not be long until Catherine is divorced and at last I will get my desire to see my niece become queen". "Hope you will be there.
Back to top Go down
Margaret Wyatt
Lady-in-waiting
Margaret Wyatt

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 pm

Margaret nodded with a kind smile "Of course, Your Grace. I shall be happy to attend to your niece Anne's wedding and coronation. I believe the whole court can't wait for this event to happen.." She answered, still keeping the rosary in her hands
Back to top Go down
Thomas Howard
3rd Duke of Norfolk
Thomas Howard

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2016 5:47 pm

"Great I will inform her right away"
Back to top Go down
Margaret Wyatt
Lady-in-waiting
Margaret Wyatt

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Margaret nodded while smiling "It's kind of you, my Lord.." She said simply and she kept on waiting for him to leave to continue her prayers
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 8:19 pm

It was close to nine by the time Gabriel arrived at the chapel. He had missed the evening service and surely the possibility of seeing Joan. Too much time at sea, he reasoned, would be better at a tavern than the kirk. Still, he genuflected by one of the pews near the back of the chapel, before sliding into the aisle with a dipped head.
Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 pm

Joan was surprised when Gabriel called out to meet her here. Partly as when Joan had mentioned the palace Gabriel had grown rather hot under the collar perhaps it was because of what he sold. This evening the sun shone through the stained glassed windows; illuminating the cobbled floors with marvelous patterns. He wasn't hard to find with quiet steps Joan sat behind him. "So why did you want to meet here" She asked whispering in his ear as she rested her head on her arms.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Gabriel had been in the chapel for a little over half an hour when he heard footsteps approach. He expected it to be a priest, they usually let you stew before avowal; enough time to brood and think of sins you hadn’t thought of for years. Gabriel readied himself to move into one of the confessionals which bordered the chapel, throwing the hood of his cloak over his head and casting a dark shadow over his face.

He glanced behind him with due reverence but saw, from beneath his disguise, that it was Joan. He smirked and removed the hood, nodding his head respectfully to her. Perhaps he ought to have brought something from the market - although there was not much left. A piece of lace, a silk ribbon or—she isn’t yours, dammit, he corrected himself, don’t be tying yourself up in knots for a woman that you know damn well isn’t yours, "Does your husband not mind you wandering about so late?" he asked with a smirk, avoiding the question.
Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 pm

[list]It was hard for Joan to talk about her marriage; it had disintegrated way too quickly leaving Joan feeling hollow. How terrible it was to love somebody and to have them leave your life was a feeling she would rather forget. Only a few special couples managed to be married for a lifetime. "I haven't seen my husband in over a year a time I would rather forget. " Even casting her memory back to that time caused Joan to shiver. The hairs on her arms standing to attention as though someone had breathed their breath on her bare back. "
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 9:04 pm

It was only too obvious that Gabriel had joked about that which he should not. Perhaps he was too used to being in the company of men, men like Joan’s husband, who left their wife for months and sometimes even years at a time. He didn’t know her husband but he knew he didn’t like him. The motivation behind his dislike was a mystery but irrelevant to Gabriel.

He didn’t know her age but she looked young and not like the type of woman who would have a mere sailor as a husband, “I’m sorry, Mistress Joan,” he offered quietly, resting his arm on the bench her’s was upon, “I’m sure no man could command you,” he tried to joke with a smile.
Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 pm

"Only my father can command me somewhat he married me off quickly before any man could've tarnish me. I suppose I should be grateful; somewhat... Now I have to wait around here miserably." Joan had heard on a rare occasion that some women even sailed on ships from time to time. If she wasn't living as a caged bird right now Joan would definitely take what little money she had and fly away. She loved England; but longed for the sun to dance on her skin; removing the pasty color only to replace it with a soft sun kissed glow. "I was surprised yet somewhat delighted when you subtly mentioned you would be here earlier on. I thought I had bored you with my not so talkative moods."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am

So I was correct, thought Gabriel, she is no simple woman, she was married off - no doubt to some titled man. He wondered - rather often - how it must feel to have your heart commanded like that. In any case, Gabriel believed all kinds of marriage to be a tyranny upon a man’s freedom…yet he daren’t say so under the shadows of the chapel’s cloisters, “I suppose there is always the possibility of an anul-“ he stopped himself. If she was married to the gentry she’d hardly expect Gabriel to speak of the marital bed. He might have been a humble soldier but the schooling of an Irish upbringing had not left him and so he found himself sitting up straight, talking gentler than usual, softening the rugged...and probably failing.

You were not so very quiet...it even takes me a while to learn how to talk to proper people again - such as yourself - and not just men aboard a ship. You're lucky to have encountered me when you have, I normally don't shut up. My mother blames my father for that”," he joked with a clear smile, he didn't usually talk of his family, "And anyway if you spoke too much I might not have had opportunity to see you now -” he stopped himself and glanced around the chapel.
Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Suspicion tinted with a hint of anger started arising inside Joan. Why was this man so interested she had only just met. So interested; in her married life it was nobody's business. Unlike other people Joan would remain faithful to her absent husband even if he didn't deserve it. "No a man has to apply for that." The words laid heavy upon Joan's tongue as if her mouth was full of marbles trying to not let one drop out when speaking. Such a grievance she felt even thinking about it made her mind swirl.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Gabriel shrugged and continued to look around the chapel - noticing the change in her demeanour, “Well I’m sure things will resolve themselves,” he offered quietly, absent mindedly tracing patterns on the bench beside him, "These things usually have a tendency to sorting themselves out."

Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 pm

"Perhaps; but my mistress has now returned which I am delighted about. If I am completely honest; my experience with my husband has put me off being in any relationship with a man I could do without the nuisance really." Sometime you had to be brutal in order to keep people from getting close to you. Joan was self aware of hurting others feelings she didn't want to bring another person into this unexplained mess of hers. It wasn't fair on either party. Even if Anthony never came back Joan had no idea if that was the case she'd given up waiting for him long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 am

He stifled the immediate joke that came to mind. It was strange, thought Gabriel, she seemed like an entirely different woman now that she was away from the market. Of course, he was different inside the chapel walls too but the brightness in her seemed affected now.

Your mistress?” he asked out of politeness, assuming she was one of the King’s wife’s many ladies in waiting. It made sense, Gabriel had heard she only employed handsome courtiers…a little shortsighted given how she came to know the King perhaps, “And…God forgive me, but you needn’t have a relationship necessarily. If it was your wish you might always follow the example set by your King," he said rather mischievously.
Back to top Go down
Joan Champernowne
Lady-in-waiting
Joan Champernowne

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 pm

"Why are you so interested in my marriage." No other man was this intrigued in Joan's personal affairs. For her it raised alarm bells and was utterly offended at his suggestion. Just what was his motivation. She was not the only woman around here was he just passing the time until one that caught his attention come along. Just what did he seek to Joan. She kept her temper calm; hiding it deep inside her swirling around like a tornado brewing. The audacity of this man made Joan want to cry the hot tears prickling in her eyes causing a glassy effect on the horizon of her eyes. "A woman like me is in no position to ask the king for such a thing to occur. Even if it did take place; what little earnings I have I would have to halve I've been told to be wary when it comes to Cromwell. He deals with all of the king's affairs he's a lawyer."
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Latimer
Soldier
Gabriel Latimer

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Gabriel laughed lightly, truly unaffected by the change in her temperament. He continued to sit casually in his pew, one arm on the back of his chair, “I confess I have very little interest in your marriage, Mistress Joan. Indeed, any interest I might have had…was in you,” he replied simply and looked at her sincerely.

He did find it rather amusing and almost laughed at himself for how he had wondered if he might have brought her some gift. An English woman entirely, thought he, “And, I also confess, I have no comprehension about what you now speak of. I merely intended that you may enjoy interactions beyond those simply with your husband. As far as I was aware - last time I was on these shores - friendships and the like still exist.”

"In any case," he began with a calm sigh, turning to face the altar, "I do not wish to offend you, madam," he said, crossing himself and kneeling as he left his pew to find a quieter spot away from Joan, whom he discovered, was as fickle as it was possible to be...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Corner in the Chapel   Quiet Corner in the Chapel - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quiet Corner in the Chapel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2