The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Living room

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:57 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wolsey was staring outside the window, his hands on his back, his mind restless because there were a lot of sorrows, but all seemed little compared to the matters of state he used to handle.
A servant entered and announced Cromwell, his face lightened and he quickly turned around.
'Show him in, please!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 am

Cromwell entered the room very slowly, taking note of the sparse furnishings. This must not be anything that the cardinal is used to , he thinks to himself. He saw his old friend at the window, looking very glad to see him.

"Your Eminence," he said as he bowed. He still owed respect to the man who helped him to the status he now held. Now that they were on opposite ends of fortune's wheel, he did not know what else to say, only offered a smile.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Wolsey smiled widely as he saw his friend and former pupil entering, well-aware of the changed situation in terms of status between them, but grateful for his coming.
He approached Cromwell quickly with open arms and hugged himl warmly, showing him a chair.

'My dearest Thomas, thank you for coming here and bringing me comfort. I know how busy you are these days. Please sit down, my friend. I will ask a servant to bring us a drink, but please, tell me first: how is the king?'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:38 am

Cromwell relaxed a little when his old friend embraced him. He gladly took a seat, not realizing how tired he'd been from the journey he'd made alone. Upon Wolsey asking about the king, Cromwell smiled, knowing that the cardinal did indeed care for King Henry, almost as much as if Henry had been his own son.

"The king is..." he searched for the words. "The king is putting all his faith into anyone who can promise him the divorce from Queen Katherine. But his mood shifts easily as you well know my lord. He is jubilant and optimistic for the future and other times he's impatient and belligerent. He does many things to take his mind off his troubles, but he knows those troubles are never far from him." Cromwell frowned.

"Just as importantly, how are you faring? These conditions are not what you are used to, I bet. But the king still has love for you. He feels he mustn't show too much, especially because of Lady Anne. She speaks poison in King Henry's ears so that even a saint may seem to him a demon." He knew eventually it could mean his own demise if he wasn't careful.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am

Wolsey noticed his tirement and rang a little bell on the table. George entered almost immediately and he ordered him to bring wine and a meal for his guest. George frowned a little but nodded, bowed and disappeared. Wolsey had no clue about the lack of food and focussed all his attention on Cromwell's words about the king.

'He will never give up untill he achieved his annullment, no matter what it takes...' he said, shaking his head and frowning deeply.
'Just make sure he doesn't work too hard, he needs his relaxation, his sports. Take him as much as possible of work, he will be grateful to you and your star will rise even more. my friend. His mind will be more at ease when he has time to relax, trusting his advisors.' He smiled a little.

Asked about his new place to live he slowly shrugged.
'Well, I have nothing to complain about. It is dry and it lacks me nothing.' He was silent for a while.
'I only worry about my servants. I have no money to pay them and yet they won't leave, no matter what I say. I feel burdened to keep them employed, though. Perhaps the king can employ some of them? He knows their skills and I would feel sorry for them to just send them away. I gave most of them the holiday they long had not enjoyed, but they insist on coming back to me. What to do, Thomas?' He looked anxious at him, while George entered with a plate with meat and bread, quietly serving Cromwell and pouring wine into two goblets.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 4:36 am

Cromwell smiled at the mention of food, and his stomach growled in response. He cleared his throat and immediately remembered the days of his youth when food was hard to come by. How things change. He had to wonder if Wolsey even had the money to spare, knowing his old friend had a penchant for the finer delicacies.

"The king is very obstinate. But, I don't think there was ever a time when he was denied something he wanted. His Majesty pursues all manner of relaxing activities, returning all the more jovial for his victories." He lowered his voice and leaned in to whisper "Between us, I've had the royal parks stocked with extra deer and other game, all the more chance the king will take them down in a hunt." He sat back with a secretive smile on his lips.

As Wolsey explained the situation with the servants, Cromwell nodded and rubbed his chin in thought. "Of course, I will do what I can to see they are given work and lodgings at the palace. We are gaining more courtiers every day and so could use the extra help of servants." He looked up as George brought the meal and was glad to see it was not something too rich, but would be satisfying to him anyway. "Have you eaten, my lord? I would hate to seem without my manners." He took a small sip of wine. "As for your.. situation. I believe I may have a solution. Are there not other clergymen who are in your debt? Throughout your time with the king you lent out a great deal of money to these men and it would be in your best interest to collect what is owed you." He gave Wolsey a serious look. "With interest," he added, a sly wink in his eye as he took another sip of wine.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Wolsey listened attentively at him, rubbing his chin.
'No, he was never denied a single thing. I was at times able to distract his mind and making him want something else... but this time he is determined, no matter how long I was located on my knees before him to convince him to drop this plan.'

He looked up in surprise as Cromwell revealed his secret deed, then burst out in laughter.
'Ahhh.... haha..... you are great! He will never guess but he will be thrilled to kill so many deers at once.' He wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes and shook his head, still grinning.
'That is the way to handle the king, my friend! Make him think he is in controll, while you are. Your star is rising, Thomas, take care though. Everyone knows you are a friend of me and that could be a disadvantage for you... but you can change it to your advantage. I will do everyting to help you, my friend.' He looked sincerely at Thomas' face.

He waited for himl to eat his meal at ease and shook his head.
'No, no, don't worry, I had my dinner. Bon appetit, even though it is a simple meal.' His face brightened as Cromwell mentioned the many clergymen who still owed him money. He looked thoughtful.

'You are absolutely right. The Royal Household continues to expand so most of them could be employed without difficulties. And even though I came here with nothing than the clothes I was wearing, there is indeed still money to collect. However, none of that is mine, so I will only pay the servants the wages which they are entitled and the rest will go directly to the king.' He smiled relieved.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:57 am

He nodded as he thought of what a stronghold the king had on this fixed idea of annulment. "His Majesty now considers this as a need to clear his conscience. He has convinced himself that this so-called sin of adultery he committed by marrying his late brother's widow, has caused him to be without an heir, and an heir is exactly what the king wants to feel safe about his kingdom.. it isn't such a long time since the Plantagenets lost the crown.."

He laughed along with Wolsey. "If I am good at all it is because I had a great mentor," he smiled. "I know our friendship will never change, and of course if there is anything I can do for you, only name it and I will do what is in my power."

He looked down at the meal before him, and though it was a humble meal the sight of it made his stomach growl and he gave a smile before partaking of it, it was more fulfilling than any food he'd had at court. "It shall be a pleasure to help these servants find work and good pay." Cromwell smiled as Wolsey said the money collected would only go to the servants wages and nothing toward himself. Others could say what they wanted about Thomas Wolsey, but Cromwell knew the cardinal was a good man with a good heart, who was just unlucky in this matter with the king, "I wish things were different," he said quietly. It was rare he brought up points like this, where wishing was useless, but he smiled weakly. "But I promise I shall do all I can to ensure you are living well enough. I shall see you have all the necessities."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Wolsey bited his lips and nodded in agreement.
'Yes, all this is just because he needs a male heir to secure his fledgling and still unstable reign. If Katherine only had succeeded to give him a son... well, it is of no use to think in terms of "what if." I could think of more "what if's though! What if I had known before and not ruined my chances in advance with her, the Nighthawk, I mean.' he spoke openly about Lady Anne, he had no secrets for his friend.
He looked at him with piercing eyes.
'Don't make the same mistakes as me, Thomas. Be a friend to her, and she can surely use a friend, she is still not very popular at court.'

He shook his head, feeling a little sad.
'Actually, you have done enough, my friend. You have my name purified and now you come here! It is more than I dared to hope for. No, it is time to make your own carreer, you are ready, you have the skills and the drive, my dear Thomas. Just promise me two things, if I may ask so. First and most important of all, please, try to save my schools! I know I have nothing to will nor to order, so I ask strongly; don't let them close my schools!' He put a hand on Cromwell's arm to force his words, this is the only item which he cared about more than anything else.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 am

Cromwell nodded. "Yes, I agree that 'what ifs' are useless, and too numerous to conjure. We must face everything as it happens." He chuckled as he heard Anne Boleyn called the Nighthawk. He'd heard her called plenty worse too. But his stomach clenched as he thought of having to befriend Anne, and begin a symbiotic relationship.

He kept a modest demeanor as Wolsey assured him of this beginning of his bright future. Then he turned serious as he was asked to save the colleges Wolsey had founded. He'd put much hard work into those universities. "Of course, I will do everything to preserve those facilities of learning! They are a treasure to England and will remain so no matter what shall befall..." he trailed off, so unlike him, but he smiled despite himself. "I know it means a lot to you. What is the other favor I may do for you?" He was leaning forward, his meal already finished and put aside.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Wolsey nodded, smiling faintly.
'Yes, face everything as it happens while trying to put things to your will, even though unexpected things will occur, try to look further in the future for England.' He broke off, rubbing his eyebrows.

As Cromwell ensured him he would do his utmost to save the schools, he smiled thankful.
'You visited them often for me and informed me about the progress, I know you are the only one who can convince the king of their importance. He can rename them, change them but don't let him close them, insofar as it is in your power to stop him.'

He tapped his arm and leaned back in his chair, a little embarrassed by his second request.
'I.... I would like to ask you to look after my family, Thomas. I don't know where this all ends, but I worry about Joan. If something happens to me, she has nowhere to go but to our son, but he is still abroad and doesn't even know yet that also his possessions here are all handed back to the king. And Dorothy, although safely in a nunnery... I don't fear for her personally, but I do fear for the nunnery where she stays. You and I already closed many of them in order to reform the Church, but please, make sure she can stay there or find another place for her to live her life serving God.' He swallowed hard and raised his eyes pleadingly to him.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 am

He nodded solemnly. "I swear it, the colleges shall remain, and should the king not think in such a direction I shall convince him to keep them." He thought to himself how it was getting to be easier to tell the king what decisions to make, for the good of the country.

A small smile of warmth crossed Cromwell's face, and he thought of how much Wolsey truly loved his family. "If anything should happen, I will see to it that the fates of Joan and your son and daughter are well. I will see to it that Dorothy's convent will stay as one of the holy houses of God, and if she should leave that place for another, she shall continue to serve the Lord." He gave a fond smile as he promised these things, and suddenly it felt as though he was preparing for the worst.. he could not imagine a world without his great friend in it.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 12:41 am

He kept looking at his friend but while he answered him, Wolsey relaxed more and more and he smiled widely.
'You really are a true friend....this means so much to me.' he said but his voice trembled and he cleared his throat, wiping his eyes inconspiciously.

He took a sip of the wine while he recovered and smiled again.
'Well, this all is still part of our conversation about "what if's", of course! Who knows what lies ahead?' He winked and rolled his eyes as if he joked, but his eyes didn't laugh along.

He stared at Thomas for a while and shook his head, he still saw him as the young man who entered his service, but now he was an adult male with his own family.
'How is your wife, Elizabeth? And the rest of your family? Perhaps you can bring your wife next time you visit me, I think my Joan would like to meet her.' he spoke warmly.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 2:25 am

"I try to be a friend to the man who has taught me so much. It is the least I can do after all you have done for me." Cromwell said modestly. He noticed Wolsey wiping at his eyes, and out of respect looked away.

"What lies ahead.. we cannot know. That is the amusement, and the torture." He knew he had to be careful if he wanted his journey to come to a good end rather than.. rather than worse.

He brightened at the mention of his own family. "Everyone is well. I think Elizabeth would be very glad indeed to visit and to meet your Joan."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Wolsey bowed his head, accepting humbly the compliment with joy and melancholy.
'I didn't teach you a thing, my friend! You already were a very talented and experienced man from the first moment you set foot in my office!' He smiled at the memory.

'I remember many notables feared you, because you had this dangerous look and I am afraid I didn't make it better for you!' He chuckled, reminding the stories he used to tell people about Cromwell's past.
'Spoken of amusement or torture, I amused myself telling them stories, especially to Norfolk, who still seems to tremble as he sees you.' He felt better now he had spoken out his deepest fears and knew Cromwell would help him as much as he could and he smiled warmly at him.

'Then bring her the next time you visit me. She might enjoy to be with you on your yourney and Joan and I love to have company, I have much more time now, you know!' He winked a bit unfortunate.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:33 am

Cromwell smiled a bit, thinking back on fond memories. "I did much growing up in your service though. I looked up to you because you came from such stock as I did and you rose to a great height. By the time my life took me through Europe and back to England I knew what I wanted could be achieved if I saw that you could do it." he smiled.

He laughed, knowing Norfolk and the likes of him were wary, even fearful of himself. "Some of the stories were true, I'll allow. But if it kept potential enemies at bay then I thank you for the telling of them. It does my heart good to think of Thomas Howard shaking in his fine leather boots!" He laughed aloud, slapping his knee.

"I will bring my Elizabeth along next time, and I am glad to come again." He knew Wolsey was a friend in need, and he would never turn his back on him when he needed help most, even if he wanted company over so they could forget their troubles for a little while.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Wolsey smiled too, reminding the young, serious and hard working man who came into his service long time ago.
'You came a long way, just like me. I was right to take you into my service, I recognized your eagerness and strong will to rise as my own. And also your brilliance, my friend, you have a lot of potential and you are loyal, also a very good attribute.'

He laughed with him, rubbng his eyebrows.
'Well, I didn't lie to them..... perhaps I just exagerated a little!' He winked and kept smiling.
'I only fed their own fear, I guess. Half a word was enough, the rest they made up themselves!' He leaned forward.
'Norfolk fears his own shadow, my friend. He still thinks I am a kind of wizard with my magical ring, I still don't know however which one it is, I could use it now for sure!'

He shook his head and shrugged.
'I am glad you want to visit me again. Please keep me informed, I..... miss courtlife.' He frowned deeply.
'And don't hesitate to consult me whenever you feel the need!' He looked meaningfully in his eyes.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 1:28 am

He smiled also, remembering the days when he acquired so much knowledge from Wolsey, he polished what few skills he had already and learned more about loyalty and service. He learned the power of mental strength, and could not have been more grateful. "I had an excellent teacher, ans who was also much like a father to me." he smiled.

He laughed loudly upon hearing of the "magic ring.""That Norfolk is a superstitious one, have you seen the many saints' medallions he wears? Believe me, if anyone had hold of such a ring as yours, possessed of magical qualities, we could all rewrite our own histories. And our futures." he wiped tears from his eyes he was laughing so hard.

He frowned. "To be honest, court is not the same without you. There is much less dependence on clergy where state matters are concerned. I will be sure to seek your advice. Your good counsel is one of the reasons I'm still here." he smiled fondly at Wolsey.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Wolsey smiled at his words and when Cromwell told him he was much like a father to him, he felt touched.
'I love my own son, of course, he is a philosopher, eager to study the main body of thought. I am proud of him, he is still in Milan as far as I know, he is never done learning!
But you my friend, you are like me, a pragmatic man, always seeking the best way to handle, depending on the situation. Ahh we have ideals, you and me, but we know how and when to act. You appealed to my fatherly feelings as well.'
He smiled, still touched.

He smiled wider as Cromwell reminded him of the many saints medaillons Norfolk wore.
'Sometimes I wondered who was the clergyman, he or me, haha! I have never seen so many of these medaillons on one person! I hope they work for him.' He studied his fingers with the rings and played for a moment with a ring featuring a turqoise stone. He stretched his arm and the stone sparkled.
'Mmmm, this might be the one! A pity that it has failed me, though!' He laughed and shook his head, becoming serious again.

'Please, do!' He spoke with urgence as Cromwell described the situation at court.
'It is the only way I can still serve him while my body is here though my mind is with him.' he whispered.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:24 am

Cromwell smiled as he thought of Wolsey's son. He was a scholar, much like his father, and Cromwell expected to hear good things of him in the future. "Ideals... we are indeed full of them. And we are often criticized for them as well."

He chuckled as he thought of Norfolk. "I can hear him from a mile away with the clinking of all those medallions when he walks!" He watched the stone on Wolsey's ring, "If any of them were to grant a wish, that would be the one..Was that a gift from His Majesty?"

He stared and nodded after Wolsey said he was still a servant of the king in mind if no longer in body. "There are times, when he is away from Lady Anne's presence, that he speaks of you. He asks of you often, and I see plainly the sympathy and regret in his eyes."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 8:43 pm

’What is a man without ideals?’ He smiled faintly and shrugged.
’Without ideals England would still be an isolated country, with no significant role in European matters as we have now…’ he became silent, thoughtful. If Henry continued his plan to divorce even without approval of the Pope, it was obvious they would be isolated again. He sighed and shook his head to remove his dark thoughts.

He turned the turquoise ring at his finger, smiling as he remembered how he earned it.
’It was a gift from his father, Henry VII, and everyone knows he was not really open-handed!’
He smiled wider and leaned back in his chair.
’He gave it to me when I accomplished a delicate matter for him in the Low Lands and came back before he even knew I was gone.’ he winked and shrugged.
’Spoken about witchcraft, haha! Aww I was young and eager and ambitious to the bone!'

He rubbed his chin and scratched behind his ear as Cromwell told him about the king.
'I miss him, Thomas! I miss him deeply. Please tell him he can always count on me, I will stay his most humble and loyal servant, at his disposal day and night.' He broke off and hid his head in his hands.
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 1:11 am

He nodded agreement. "England must maintain its reputation of power. We ill-placed, strategically. Too close to France with whom we continue our love hate relationship, and too far away from those whose ideals we observe and try to model after."

He again studied the turquoise ring, shining briliantly in the late afternoon sun's rays. "It's a remarkable piece. I know your friendship was strong with the late king. Did you ever imagine it would be as strong with his son, our present Henry the Eighth?"

"I will relay your words to His Majesty, rest assured. He did not like to be rid of you, but you know his pride, how it wins over his rational thought almost every time. This.. isolation from court, cannot last forever." He frowned as Wolsey began to break down, and put a hand on his old friend's shoulder. "Worry not, and have faith. As long as you can count your friends, and you of course have one in me, then you are not out of luck."
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 pm

He frowned and sighed deeply.
´I had no choice...I had to make another treaty with France. If only he had chosen a French bride! Aww, treaties get broken all the time, every country is looking after its own interest... so our strategical position gives us an edge over the others.´ He shook his head and looked into his friend´s eyes.
´It is like playing chess.... you make a move and think forward on your next ones. And if your opponent makes an unexpected move, you already anticipated on that!´ His eyes glistened, he loved determining political moves.

´Actually, I never expected to be kept in Henry VIII´s service. In fact, he replaced all political advisors of his father, luckily I had not reached as high yet.´ he said thoughtful and smiled faintly. `For his father I was his personal chaplain, but he was never as confidential with me as his son. In the end he trusted nobody anymore and I guess I thank my career to others who could not deal with a young man, not raised to be a king and not particularly interested to be a king, too.´ He smiled wider. ´We became a team, the young Henry and me, I listened to him and managed his wishes while he could play and do what young men like to do... and what he still likes to do!´ He lapsed into silence as he thought back to all those years they worked smoothly together, as the king and his most loyal servant, as friends, almost as father and son.

He woke up from his thoughts as he felt his friend´s comforting hand on his shoulder and he gently tapped it.
´Thank you my friend... your words mean a lot to me. No, this can´t be the end...´ he said slowly and he took his handkerchief to wipe his eyes.
´I am so happy to have a friend like you, my dear Thomas! And I know there are more people still supporting me, so I will keep my faith, no matter what happens. He sent me this token...´ he touched another golden ring at his hand. ´... which gives me confidence in his good intentions.´

He bited his lips and looked up sadly in Cromwell´s eyes.
´I have confidence in him, and in you.... but there are others around him who influence him, Thomas, in whose intentions I have no confidence at all!´
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 4:09 am

Thomas nodded and took in this wisdom from the wisest (though unluckiest) man he knew. He heard in Wolsey's voice the admiration the man had for strategy and the use of alliances.

He gave a weak smile as the cardinal mentioned how he worked at the kingdom while the king worked at playing. "Yes, the king has not changed in that regard, really. Except that he does not allow his eyes to land on other women. Or I should say, Anne Boleyn doesn't allow it! Everyone has that one mountain they cannot climb. Yours just happened to be Anne.. not only her but her entire family, plus Norfolk. He's just one man, but he's like an ant bite. Small and irritating, but damn if you'll forget the itching and pain it causes!" he roared laughing.

He was glad to be able to lift Wolsey's spirits, if only for a little while. "I wouldn't be anywhere else, my lord. I know if our circumstances were reversed, you would be visiting me and cheering me. This ring.. it can only signal a good thing from His Majesty. He still has you in his heart, but as everyone knows, his judgment these days is rather cloudy.." he frowned and shook his head.

He looked Wolsey dead in the eye. "Believe me I know. And, I fear some of your enemies are going to become mine. But first they will pose as friends, benefactors. I will play along until the time comes when I shall need to do differently," he said a little uneasily.
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey Lonshord
Servant
Geoffrey Lonshord

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Geoffrey arrived at Jericho House after travelling almost all day. Once he arrived, he warned the guards of his presence and walked in the room. He noticed that Master Cromwell was with Wolsey. He bowed at them

Your Eminence...Master Cromwell. I came from court. The King himself sent me here to deliver a gift for you, Cardinal Wolsey...

He showed him a little box and opened it. It was a King's portrait

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Living room Empty
PostSubject: Re: Living room   Living room I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Living room
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next