The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Mary Tudor's BedChamber

Go down 
+3
Nan Saville
Geoffrey Lonshord
Mary Tudor
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

Mary Tudor's BedChamber Empty
PostSubject: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey Lonshord
Servant
Geoffrey Lonshord

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Geoffrey entered in the room and bowed deeply

Your Highness, I came to see if you need something...
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 10:49 pm

The gentle music drifted through the room-two of Mary's maids played musical instruments; one the lute and the other the viol. The two ladies sang in their thin voices in a mixture of Spanish and Latin.
The music was of Spanish origin though and the gentle tune was like a message from The Queen-conveying love to her daughter. It was her who sent her the pages for the music and Mary knew the song well-she knew every note, every verse, every subtle whisper of the innocence of love conveyed through the song.

As the music was played the rest of Mary's ladies were intently working on their sewing rings-all of them skilled with needlework had created pretty little patterns and pictures. However only The Princess's could be threaded with gold thread which sparkled in the candlelight. The sound of their needles penetrating the fabric onto which their patterns were born was like a back beat to the music.

Meanwhile the servants quietly and diligently packed away Mary's belongings. Opening trunks and gasping at the gowns of satin, damask, cloth of gold and silver. The jewels to adorn the tiny Princess which were of great worth and the books in Latin, Greek, French, Spanish, English...
Everything that would bring pleasure to Mary in Whitehall was carefully packed away and now only a few trunks were left full. As her belongings were neatly packed away Susan began to prepare Mary's bed for the night. The linen laid onto the bed, furs placed over the linen, lavender being rubbed on her plumped pillows and freshly washed sheets.

As the door opened Mary did not look up at first-expecting it was just another maid bringing in more gowns or bed linen for the evening. However when a deep voice echoed through the room the music stopped and all the maids looked up to find the owner of the husky voice.

The maids stood and curtsied-giggling amongst themselves at the handsome servant. Susan hushed them and nodded to the servant,"Sir."

After speaking Mary nodded,"I should like if you spoke with my father, His Majesty The King. Please ask after his health and ensure him that I love him greatly as his daughter,"Mary collected a letter written in her own hand from the table near her and gave it to Susan to pass to the servant.

Susan walked to Geoffrey and smiled as she handed it to him,"Could you pass this to him, please,"Mary asked kindly.
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey Lonshord
Servant
Geoffrey Lonshord

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Geoffrey took the letter from Susan's hands and nodded

Of course, Your Highness. I'll bring it to your father personally. I wish you good night, my lady...

He bowed deeply again and left the room
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Nan was walking through corridor. She hadnt seen little princess almost for 6 months. She must have been grown up. She wanted to see her but she wasnt sure she was alone or not. She knocked her rooms door. There was no sound from inside. "Your highness?"
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Mary thanked the diligent servant and the giggling maids curtsied as he left.

Finally the servant's that lingered in the chamber left. All the tapestries were hung and caressed the stone walls, softening the chamber which would otherwise be cold and unwelcoming. The rich tapestries however which were threaded with rich golden thread, glistened in the dim candlelit. A warm homely glow was cast around the chamber-everything became tinged with a flaxen splendour with nothing left unaffected.

As the unnecessary maids were dismissed and scuttled to their chambers for the night, Mary began to prepare for her slumber. The day had began for The little Princess at the sixth hour in the morning and now most of the court were retiring sleepily to their chambers. Already some had collected lovers for the summer and they strolled hand in hand to their chambers, giggling like children and whispering like thieves. It was pretty to watch-the blooming relationships and friendships.
Each English rose in court truly came into flower- the sun blessed their faces with colour and lightened their fair hair with it's rays. Even the little Princess grew prettier; with the opportunity to play in the gardens, ride out with court and dance later into the evenings, gave for a happier disposition and more joyful face.

After she was bathed. Her lustrous damp hair was plaited, her linen nightcap poured over her skull and was tied gently neath her chin in a pretty bow. Susan read to her, as two other maids completed their sewing. A complete peace and wellness hung over the room-all seemed well.

Until there was a sharp knock at the door all was silent. Susan sighed and walked to the door, smoothing down her damask dress and adjusting her gable hood which concealed her fair hair that when set free tumbled down her back to her slender waist. As she carefully unlatched the door she saw a woman emerge from the shadows,"My lady,"she said and bowed her head.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Nan could finally saw princess after door was opened. She took a little step into room and curtsied deeply. She looked at her kindly and smiled. "May i come in, your highness?" she asked gently. She waited her response. She always thought being a princess a kid must be something really boring. She never had chance to act stupid .
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Susan still at the door turned to Mary for instruction. Despite the fact Mary should have been wrapped in her bed by now, the furs and covers embracing her and the lavender soothing her into sleep, she was a Princess and as such the decision was hers.

The tiny Princess gave a faint nod from the other side of the room. Her little hands rested on her lap and eyes downcast. With her nod Susan opened the door wider and allowed the lady in-it was a strange hour to have an audience with royalty. Rather inconsiderate really...
As the woman sauntered into the chamber, Susan carefully latched the door and ensured it was tightly shut to ensure The Princess's privacy.

Susan resumed her seat by Mary quickly then and gave her a tender smile and patted her hatted head . Mary returned the gesture and smiled broadly-giggling and the sound was as sweet as skylark. Mary nodded to the woman in the room and examined her features- she had a pretty retroussé nose, a sought after feature in women.

Mary finally stood and curtsied to the stranger and gestured to a seat opposite hers.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Nan watched them both carefully. Room was quite silent and she felt a little bit anxious. A little kid's room shouldnt be such grave. She sat the place which she's pointed. She looked at princess "I'm sorry if its not the right time. I just heard you just arrived here, i wanted to say come and say welcome"
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:32 pm

The maids by Mary continued with their needlework-both creating delicate patterns. The needle bobbing in and out of the fabric that was secured to the ring. Susan sat by Mary, her eyes looked to the floor respectfully.

Mary looked up to the woman and replied softly,"Don't apologise,"she then smiled faintly and continued,"I thank you most heartily for kindness. May I learn your name?"

Mary enjoyed the serene quiet of the room. Even when it fast approached night there was noise in court-especially tonight as everyone arrived on the summer progress. Sitting by the fire and being played sweet music was Mary's greatest pleasure.
It was a stark contrast the constant noise and chatter in court. Ladies gossiping, men arguing and debating of politics, even the occasional gurgle coming from a new life that was just born. However that sweet gurgle, the reassuring cry of a new born baby was now just a faded memory for Her Majesty. She prayed most heartily to become pregnant and give The King a son. If it should be that a woman's fertility may be based purely upon prayer and piety then the Queen would have born several sons-all healthy and well.
Though it would seem to all that her days of fertility were over and the succession rested on Mary's delicate shoulders...

Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 6:05 pm

That was really and awkward feeling for Nan. Feeling nervous in front of a child. No matter she's a princess of England or not, she was still a kid. A really little kid. She was just a girl. She was looking so serious for a girl who's at her age. King always loved her daughter deeply, everyone knew that. But Mary knew as everyone that Henry always desired to have a son. An heir. She sighed and smiled kindly at her. "My name is Nan Saville, your highness. I used to be a lady in waiting to your mother, her majesties for 3 years. Since last year. I've married with a Spanish duke, then my husband died last year and i came back to court. Your father, his majesties welcomed me back at court very friendly. I'm so greatful." she said quietly and waited her response. She felt like she talked too much. Then she looked around the room silently. It was really tidy and clear.
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:29 pm

The woman's discomfort was clear. As she sat in the comfortable chair, upholstered with rich velvet, with even the hands and legs of the chair pain stakingly carved with intricate and delicate patterns, her posture was not that which someone at ease would be.
Instead she looked rather like the Lady Bryan-her features tense, her back straight and mouth in a hard line. Of course until she smiled but even that did not reach her dark eyes. The woman had an exotic quality to her-she was unlike the English roses flopping about court.

Mary rose from her chair again and swept a charming little curtsey-the three ladies present sighed in adoration at the little Princess. Despite the fact she was in most ways her fathers daughter-she had been blessed with her mothers grace,"Dowager Duchess,"she then smiled with as much warmth as that which radiated from the burning fire,"I trust my mother,Her Majesty, was most pleased to have you in her service and I apologise for your husbands death-he shall be in my prayers."

Mary then returned to her chair and continued,"Should you like something to drink, Your Grace, there is some delicious ale I have brought with me to Whitehall. It is most nice when it has been slightly warmed."
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Nan watched her movements carefully. She was really cute actually. She couldnt help and smiled wide. Maybe it was not a serious smile, it was sincere. Even they're talking about her husband's death, she was feeling comfortable and warm now. She bowed her head in return of Mary's acts and waited her to sit down again. "You're so kind your highness thank you. Of course i'd like to taste your delicious ale. That would be my pleasure" she added a smile to her sentence
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Mary nodded as she could feel her become more at ease-nestling into her chair instead of perching on it as a a falcon ready to fly free.

At her nod the two idle maid rose from the chairs-depositing there sewing rings on their chairs. One of the maids fetched the ale from beside the fire-it was contained in a small jug of little or no worth. However the fine glasses which the other maid fetched were. Tall and slim and increasing in diameter nearer the top-the glasses glinted in the dim light. The way in which the glass was cut gave it the appearance of crystal and as they chinked together the thin trill was as men shouting threats at one another before a joust.

The ale was poured and Mary was served first-the maids kneeling before her and serving her the ale reverently. Immediately she took a sip and smiled,"It is delicious is it not,"Mary said as she brought the glass to her lips again.

The maids then scuttled back to their seats and continued with their needlework.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Nan waited quietly maids to brought their glasses. She took her glass and took a sip from her ale. It was really delicious even she didnt love ale generally. She would like to drink wine rather than ale but it was really the most delicious and best ale ever she drank. She nodded and smiled at her. "Its really good, your highness. Thank you." she kept on holding her glass in her hands and added "Actually i'd like to say that i can be there for you if you need me anytime. I'm not in service of anyone now officially. I'm not a lady in waiting but i can come and be a friend of yours." she waited her response curiously.
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Mary nodded, her little head bobbing up and down like a horse impatiently waiting to begin a hunt,"I tasted it in The Cardinal Wolsey's rooms and it is my favourite drink now,"she said happily as she took another sip. She then placed the fine glass on a table by her and smiled at Susan who returned the kind glance.

Susan was a favourite lady in waiting and longtime friend to Mary in the lonely court. She saw her Mistress as a mother would see one of her children, a sister would see her sibling and friend would see her companion, and thus she was protective of her charge. Loving and kind-she provided care that Mary required as a growing girl. Although she was known as the 'ice maiden' by men in court-she was beautiful although did not give herself freely. Courted by many and desired by many although their advances soon froze like the Thames in the winter as she reminded them of her betrothal. Her long fair hair and notably green eyes were her best features ...that and her height. She stood tall amongst the ladies and her wit and charm set her apart from the other women in court.

Mary smiled at her words and so did Susan-glad of her loyalty in the ever changing court...thanks to Anne Boleyn,"Your Grace is exceedingly kind and I gladly accept your offer. I consider us perfect friends already-you are always welcome here or indeed in my residence Ludlow in Wales should you be there."
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Nan listened her carefully cause she really knew nothing about that girl. All she know was that she's the princess of England. She wouldnt be much in crowded. She would has her lunchs,dinners at her room with her ladies, she reads there and plays. But Nan wanted to know that girl better. Nan took another sip from her wine and smiled warmly "Of course. And I'd like to have you at my mansion at Naverre, in Spain. That's my home my husband left for me. I havent been there since last year but its really pretty place at autumun. "
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Mary smiled and cleared her throat a little. As the daughter of a Spanish princess she was as skilled in Spanish as she was in English- her grasp of the language was impressive for her age,"Yo sin duda vendrá. Una día espero visitar el lugar de mi madre, la reina, el nacimiento,"she spoke quickly and with as much fluency as a Spanish born infanta.

The maids giggled at her fluency-impressed by her quick response as they completed their sewing. One had constructed a tudor rose and the intertwined vines spelled her initials and her sweethearts . The other had made a simple pattern with a delicate border and in the centre she completed Princess Mary's motto as a tribute to her mistress-Veritas filia temporis Susan smiled in adoration and Mary beamed proudly..if only Her mother saw.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Nan looked impressed by her influenced Spanish. She smiled wide and nodded quickly. "que sería un honor mi princesa" she waited for a while. She couldnt prevent herself and giggled "Sorry my Spanish is not so good. I'm still learning. I've only lived in Spain for a year"
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 4:42 pm

"Did you not learn any when you were in my Mothers household,"Mary asked inquisitively and took a final sip of the warmed ale.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Nan waited for a while and thought. It was just like thinking about very old times. It was only a year and half ago. But felt like many years ago. She nodded softly and answered "Yes i did. Not influenced but i learned a lot. Then i havent spoken Spanish almost for a year at all. I forgot most of them. But i can remember if i practise."
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Mary noticed that the woman seemed to disappear into her memories-she seemed almost consumed with her thoughts. It were as if a mist was draped over her eyes and all she could see was her memories and events that had taken place long ago It seemed as if she remembered another lifetime-her furrowed brow and lines on her otherwise smooth forehead making her look as if she is in deep concentration, straining to see the memories.
Many women would have seen it a good thing not to be have influenced by Spanish traditions. The oppressive gable hood all The Queen's maids wore, the muslin that they wore from the ending of the stomacher to their neck when they attended mass and the constant prayer in The Queen's rooms. Some admired The Queen's piety and others thought it ludicrous…perhaps Nan Saville thought this too and therefore did not not adopt many of The Queens ways.
"Do you think you should ever like to return to Spain or are you quite content here?"Mary asked.
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Nan thought a little while after Mary's that question. She never thought about that. She put her glass on table, between them and shrugged slightly. "To be honest, i never thought about that your highness. I'm originally from Germany. But i came here very young. Now England's like my home. I'd like to live here " she said kindly.
Back to top Go down
Mary Tudor
Princess of Wales
Mary Tudor

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Mary tilted her head,"Germany…why did you leave your home?"
Mary wondered how she should cope if she was sent abroad. When she was just a child of two years she was promised to the Dauphin, the infant son of King Francis I of France, however after just three years the contract was repudiated. Then some years later she was contracted to marry her cousin, Her mother's nephew, the Holy Roman Emperor.
Although yet again, within a few years the marriage plans were cancelled. In any case she would have surely had to move to a foreign land when she was of age-just like her mother was. Unfortunately her mother had a weak grasp of English when she arrived on English soil…Mary however ,should she have to move, she would be able to speak with her spouse in an array of languages.
"Do you think to re-marry?"
Back to top Go down
Nan Saville
Duchess of Naverre
Nan Saville

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Nan smiled softly for that question. She looked down for a second "If i can find a good husband , why not?" she said sweetly. "I'd like to have my own kids"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tudor's BedChamber   Mary Tudor's BedChamber I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mary Tudor's BedChamber
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next