The Tudors World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Please follow the "Timeline" topic in "Announcement". Especially the historical characters! - Anne Boleyn
January 1533 - Henry & Anne Boleyn marry in a secret ceremony
March 1533 - Thomas Cranmer is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury.
May 1533 - Archbishop Thomas Cranmer declares the marriage of King Henry VIII and Queen Katherine of Aragon to be invalid
May 1533 - Thomas Cranmer validates King Henry VIII& Anne Boleyn's marriage
June 1533 - Coronation of Anne Boleyn
Summer 1533 - Sir Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex begins an investigation into the activities of Sir Thomas More
June 1533 - Parliament extinguishes Papal authority in England.
June 1533 - Mary Tudor, younger sister of Henry VIII, dies at Westhorpe, Suffolk.
July 1533 - It is reported that Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk and George Boleyn, caught up with the French court. While they were there both Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond became violently sick, at the same time. Richmond was so ill, that for a while, it was feared he might die.
July 1533 - Pope Clement VII excommunicates King Henry VIII & his advisers (including Thomas Cranmer)
JSeptember 1533 - Anne Boleyn gives birth to Princess Elizabeth Tudor
November 1533 - Henry Fitzroy, Henry VIII's illegitimate son, marries Mary Howard (daughter of Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk) Anne Boleyn is said to have worked for this pairing.

Wolsey's study

Go down 
+4
Thomas Cromwell
Lorenzo Campeggio
Nan Saville
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

Wolsey's study - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 pm

He listened with horror at Cromwell´s stories about the king´s love life. He used to join Henry while he was hunting or enjoying a party and organized himself many masquerades to please him, but he did not share his morals about courting ladies. He smiled weakly.
´Well... just keep me informed, especially if there is something to report about him and Lady Anne.´ he said thoughtful.

He smiled wider after his joke.´Yes, birds of a feather...´ He grinned and drank some water.

´Well... I have explained to you that I want our king to outshine all others, because I think a great king is a blessing to his realm and set an example to the world. Untill recently, in fact untill Henry became king only France and Spain were the main players in Europe, but now England has shown itself to be a useful ally - even a wanted ally and our diplomatic skills have improved... we play a role now, Thomas, a role of importance, a role as peace broker!' he spoke proudly.
He sighed and shook his head.
'He always plans another invasion, incited and stoked by the threesome we already discussed - amongst others, who still think that France should be ours... '

He shrugged, unwilling to keep talking about Norfolk, but also smiling mischievously.
'Norfolk was sent on a diplomatic mission to Ireland, just to keep him busy and to strenghten our relationship with the Irish.... but Norfolk is everything but a diplomat, he knows one way and that is the sword, not the word! ' He burst out in laughter.
'So he was afraid he was going to die there... of boredom! And he knew very well that he was put to a side track so he wanted to come back desperately.'

It was silent for a while, then Wolsey turned to Cromwell, looking seriously.
'Soon the trial starts... I need your help there. Please, deliver me one Anthony Poyes... you should look for him at the Isle of Wight. And find sir William Thomas, he lives in Camarthen, I think... he is at age, so tell your men they should act slowly!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 pm

He noticed Wolsey's expression. He seemed pale and not very pleased about information about the king he just told him.
'Well... Recently he is supposed to be... Hobbled. Lady Anne affects him and he doesn't see any other lady at court.' frowned.
'Ironically... Even his own wife is no longer visible for him.' added and thought of Henry and Anne together. Wolsey's face quickly changed into proud one.
'So we should keep your achievements constant as long as possible... Of course you can make it, you are a very stubborn man, aren't you?' smiled.
'And any other men will not stop you from doing this, no other man enjoys such respect from the king as you do. Besides... You could always change king's mind even after they convinced him to do something wrong.'
Cromwell nodded after Wolsey's words about Norfolk and grinned.
'Aww Norfolk, the rebel!' smiled widely.
'So this would be his death: boredom! I thought the Irish are rather against England and they would kill him just like that.' laughed with disbelief.
Then he was listening to Wolsey intently as he was talking about the upcoming important to the king occurrence.
'Yes, the trial...' frowned. 'I am very curious how it will end even now when it did not even start.' sighed.
'Anthony Poyes and William Thomas...' repeated to remember.
'I will bring them here as fast as I can. Of course my men will be very kind for both, I can vouch for it.' nodded.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 12:44 pm

He nodded thoughtfully, staring into the flames again.
´Yes, as far as I can see he has only eyes for lady Anne and, though he still treats Catherine with respect and kindness, but attached to her... no, not anymore.´

He sighed deeply and then turned to Cromwell, smiling weakly.
´... and yes, I am a stubborn man indeed, and it has proven to be usefull, Thomas. It is not that easy to meddle between England´s interests and those of France and Spain and to choose the best side ...
You know, France in the preceding centuries has been the hereditary enemy of England; Spain and Burgundy our hereditary friends. The marriage of Catherine of Aragon had been a special feature of the established alliance. She was given first to Prince Arthur, and then to Henry, as link in the confederacy which was to hold in check French ambition. Times have changed, though.

Charles V. had been elected emperor, largely through our English influence; but Charles is threatening to be a more serious danger to Europe now than France has ever been! The Italian princes are too weak to resist the conqueror of Pavia. Italy once conquered, the Papacy will become a dependency of the empire, and, with Charles's German subjects in open revolt against it, the Church will also lose its authority, and the organisation of the Catholic world could fall into hopeless decrepitude....'
he looked alarmed at Cromwell and added.

'I believe that the maintenance of the Papacy is the best defence of order and liberty. The only remedy which I could see was a change of partners. England does hold the balance between the great rival powers! If the English alliance could be transferred from the Empire to France, the Emperor could be held in check, and his supposed ambition neutralised.´

He sighed again.
´So I managed to achieve this and we are allied to France now... in my eyes a fortunate ally, though still not popular amongst the English people. Meanwhile I must admit there have been reasons to change our ally again, but the king´s wish for an annullment has passed through all other options, as the emperor is indeed Catherine´s nephew and revokes a divorce, of course.´

Smiling weakly at his words about the Irish, he spoke absent minded.
´Ahh... yes, as long as they fought, Norfolk was in his element, but when asked to set up diplomacy... he got bored, of course.´

Turning to the fire again, he shrugged.
´... the trial, I don´t look forward to it, Thomas! But it is the only way left to clear Henry´s conscience...and to get his way.´

He shook his head, frowning deeply and he drank his wine all at once.
´I hope Anne is worth the efforts, Thomas, I really do... though she already proved to be a strong political opponent to me.´

Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 pm

'I do believe it's not easy. It is very hard to predict which of them, France or Spain, will prove to be an useful ally... Though as I am listening to everything you are telling me now about strong meaning of both countries, especially looking at the history and also at present times... Yes, it seems it is better for England to remain allied with France as Spain with Charles as the main person there will, in short, destroy the Catholic Church. But are all of occurrences you predicted going to happen? In your opinion, is it certain?' asked curiously.
'As you achieved this, England and France together again... We should be expecting Charles to calm down and back up his whims. At least for a while...' he thought of some people commenting alliance with France.
'Well... I suppose it is not so popular and people are not interested in it, becase our kings change their minds very often and could easily break the treaty between them. Or there could be also another reason to change it just like that...' glanced at Wolsey and shrugged.
'Indeed, now this is almost impossible to ally with Charles again... I hope he is not planning starting a war against England because of the divorce! If he cares about his aunt, of course.' looked at Wolsey and was watching him for a moment as he was drinking whole wine.
'Lady Anne... She is a very intelligent and strong woman... Definitely stubborn, she certainly knows what she expects from life. As the king is deeply involved in his divorce case, he should thank you by kissing your feet after all the efforts you have taken and already will take to get his divorce. In my quiet opinion, just between you and me. Not that I don't respect the king, of course I do.' winked and smiled.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 pm

'Nothing is ever certain, my friend, as I have encountered...' Wolsey spoke grimm, looking right in Cromwell's eyes.
'In my opinion, it would be for the best if there was universal peace, so the trade could continue... because our ally with France causes problems for the wooltrade with the Low Lands, even though the Dutch regent promised me to restore the trade. But meanwhile the king's matter weighs heavily on our foreign policy. He wants a divorce, approved by the pope and the outside world, to make sure his possible children with lady Anne will never be discussed as being illegitimite. All our actions are set up to achieve this... which means I had to give up my aims and do things I never thought I would do... anyway, once this divorce is achieved let's hope we are able to continue our improvements, outside and inside England.'

He turned to the fireplace again and gestured a servant because the flames were fading.
When the servant left again he continued.
'Charles has no means to start a war anymore. He conquered the continent and even attacked Turkey but his treasury is empty... meanwhile we removed all Spaniards who threatened to start a war from London. But the pope is still under his influence and will not cooperate on the annullment under pressure of Charles.'

Raising an eyebrow and smiling weakly after his words about the king who should kiss his feet he sighed and frowned deeply.
'Perhaps when I get him his annullment he will.... but I don't think so, my friend. He already proved to listen more to lady Anne than to me, as he sent me a reprimand letter when I appointed someone against her - and his- wishes lately. He made two things very clear to me: I have two masters now and my whole destiny depends on the question if I am still usefull to them. '

He turned to him and smiled sadly.
'I admit this was the greatest shock ever to me... being weight on usefullness, not on who I am and what I mean to him as a person and devoted councellor... they only see me as a servant, Thomas, who can be replaced just like that.'

Last edited by Cardinal Thomas Wolsey on Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 pm

'The Dutch regent should not pay attention to the english ally with France... Low Lands are not included, besides England will not become some kind of... second France. By no means.' rolled his eyes and sighed. The caprices of monarchs... and ruining everything because of them.
'Well, indeed, the Big Matter is a too important problem to be dismissed... And the whole chaos with asking for opinions from other countries...' sighed again. 'Well, at least I can ensure you I will certainly help you make up for the time you sacrificed for the divorce.' noded and smiled weakly.
He listened to Wolsey saying about influence of Charles. He glanced at him and thought of the upcoming trial.
'I wonder now, Thomas how the trial will help with the matter of divorce... Especially, as you said, the pope is still being affected by Charles. Everything seems like it was just a cover, like putting a brave face on the situation to please the king, like they knew it will not bring expected results in advance.' told him frankly, shrugged and was staring at the fire that restored it's lightness.
'Did he really send you this letter?' sighed and shook his head.
'Where did go his appreciation, you have been doing a lot for him for so many years, very helpful and useful things... You are not useless at all. He is still young, full of passion recently thinking he is in love and he speaks faster than he thinks. He cannot be serious...' frowned. It was hard to believe the king judged Wolsey only on the ground of a few past months, not years...
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 pm

´Listen, my friend, the Low Lands are also under the spell of the Emperor!´ Wolsey shook a finger at Cromwell and paced up and down beside the fireplace.
´You see, the Dutch regent Margaret is an aunt to Charles and sister-in-law to queen Katherine, she was married to the eldest brother of Katherine, Juan, the supposed heir to the Spanish throne. He died shortly after their marriage and Margaret returned to the Low Lands. Her father was the late emperor Maximilian who is succeeded by Charles as you know, but you must understand that this Margaret raised Charles from birth since his own mother Juana (the Mad) was not able to raise him herself. He trusts her completely and she loves him like he was her own child, so even though she rules the Low Lands by herself, she has to and also wants to be in accordence with Charles, also because he once replaced her for several years! However he regretted his decision soon enough and restored her to her position, she will never forget this !'

He frowned and looked at Cromwell to make sure he understood.
'So our ally France is surrounded by countries who obey one way or the other to Charles! Do you understand the importance of our position between them? All want to be our ally because we control the North Sea! We have a magnificent fleet and a well organized army. Even now Charles still tries to get me on his side against any price, in vain, of course.' he smiled but still frowned.

'Choices, my friend, most of the time you can make them voluntary, but sometimes... not.' He took a handkerchief and wiped his forehead.
'... the trial, yes, I see your point, of course I do. But there is no alternative anymore and Campeggio has a bull wich gives him and me full authority on the Pope's behalf to decide on this matter. I have seen it and so has the king. It has no ways out so we have the means to end this marriage. And yet...' hesitated and shook his head.

'... whatever I say or do, Campeggio will not give me the bull to show it to the council, and also he seems to have another secret order, to put as much delay as possible! It's why I have to prepare this trial all by myself so yes, I am grateful for your help, thomas!'

He stared into the flames again and was almost shocked as Cromwell mentioned the letter again. Did he really tell him that much? He looked at him for a while, then smiled weakly.
'Indeed... he did. He wrote me that he felt it as his duty as king and friend to tell me I was wrong not to obey him in this case. He also told me he was even more upset because I played ignorance to his wish while he had made his wish very clear to me. He wanted me to oppoint a dean with a very obscure past, even though I pointed that out to him!' he raised an eyebrow and whispered. 'It was her choice, my friend and he agreed with her, against better judgement...'

Smiling grimm he sipped his wine.
'He even warned me in the same letter for the resolution of the minor monasteries... telling me that people might consider this as theft! From him, obviously, not from the monasteries themselves! Guess who put this thought in his head?!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Cromwell's eyes became bigger. He didn't know what to say, Charles' influence was overwhelming.
'How did that man gained such a power in Europe! I must say, before I came here, I hadn't had much idea of our situation in the background of another coutries...' frowned.
'Now it seems we should not ally with anyone and live on our own...' sighed deeply.

(OOC: seriously, your knowledge is huge, I have no knowledge at all and I don't really know what to say Sad Have I seriously just confessed it in public?! Very Happy)

He thought of Campeggio.
'Indeed, he must be delaying everything... Especially that the Pope does not stand by this divorce... But even if Campeggio delays it, you are the one who will certainly bring it to the end soon.'
Then he glanced at Wolsey again. He seemed to wonder if it is good to continue the subject of the letter. Cromwell was preparing himself to show his understanding in case Wolsey did not want to tell him anything else. But, he continued.
'It must be a very painful and annoying feeling when someone judges you because of something you did not do, I mean, he suggested you did not want to make his wish happen. Personally, even if I was not able to do something about this, I would become furious if the king shoved something like this down my throat. Especially because of another person, the woman...'
Then he mentioned the monasteries case.
'I suppose... Well, yes... I guess I know who did it...' sighed and shook his head rising eyebrows and thought of Boleyn.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Wolsey grinned and walked up to Cromwell, tapping his shoulder in a friendly way.
'Ahh... you have been in Italy and in the Low Lands as well, but you are a trade man and normally they don't care about power, only about money!'

(OOC you do a perfect job, you are an excellent sparring partner and you are my pupil here, so just let me pour out my heart - soon the situation turns around and I will lean on you my friend Wink Sorry I overload you with information but I am quite eager to know myself why Wolsey fell from power so yes I read everything I can find about him and you my friend, are my victim to tell what I've found about this intriguing man, just as intriguing as yourself, who will share the same fate years afterwards, also because of a woman! Crying or Very sad Very Happy ... and because in the end, Henry only listened to the -old- nobility, our sworn enemies Exclamation )

His face darkened as Cromwell murmered about England living on their own again and he waved a finger.
'Whatever happens, we may never turn our back to Europe again, not after all our efforts to play a leading role in European matters! Don't even think about it, my friend, we would become the isolated island again we always have been.' he shook his head, frowning deeply.

'We need peace, my friend, to improve our country and our trade... I'm sure you agree with me on this. We need the overseas trade and we achieved this universal peace once, so we will fight to achieve it again!' he spoke grimm.

'Meanwhile, all aims are put aside to this personal matter of the king, which should be a little matter compared to the rest... but it turns out to change our international position, perhaps forever! ' he shivered and warmed himself at the fireplace, his hands stretched to the fire.

He shook his head and spoke softly.
'It all depends on me, indeed, but this matter is beyond my power, I am stuck, Cromwell, between opposite interests and I have to defend them all, even though this could cause my own downfall.' He kept staring in the flames, relieved to have spoken out what he feared most but he could not look in Cromwell's face to see his reaction.

He thought about Cromwell's words about the reaction of the king and smiled faintly.
'What hurts me the most is not only the loss of respect, but most of all the loss of a personal friend and companion. We were a team, Cromwell, Henry and I, we acted together for years in harmony and agreement but somehow we broke up without knowing it and perhaps not even wanting it, at least, I don't want it... And there is nothing I can do about it, besides working even harder to show him he still needs me, so that is what I do, every day again!'

Reflecting for a while, he suddenly turned around and looked at him, smiling weakly.
'We should have dinner together, I'd like to invite you and your beloved wife to have dinner with me and my spouse, soon. Our wifes could talk about their ambitious husbands...' smiled wider '... and you and I could talk about ... well, everything we want, there is enough for us to discuss, I guess!'
Back to top Go down
Thomas Cromwell
Earl of Essex
Thomas Cromwell

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 2:11 pm

'There is no chance for us to just remain impartial? An independent island who could help another country in need, though not be allied with them? Of course with saving European peace, indeed I agree with you. Who would want to start a war now... When the Big Matter is the only thing people have been thinking about recently.'

(OOC: oh don't say sorry, seriously! I don't mind being such a victim as you called me Wink I'd happily get to know some new parts of Tudors' history so you can tell me whatever you want to share your knowledge. But the only problem is that I just can't share mine, especially about Cromwell or 16th century Europe because there is no any! (apart from 'The Tudors'). But... it's not such a problem, because you mentioned I do the good job here what means a lot to me in our threading so everything is perfectly fine even though I can sometimes shorten my response, we can continue Smile)

Cromwell didn't say a word after Wolsey mentioned he could fall because of his own actions. He was stuck indeed. After a moment of silence, he listened quietly as he was reminiscing about his old times with the king.
'Yes, losing a friend is not a thing that makes people happy. Henry obviously loved you, that is right. Though it looks like he was... just using you. Of course it just looks like this, I do not want to say it was so. You know, he loved you only when you did a great job for him and his country. When you were giving him good advices, almost being the king yourself, because you made many decisions instead of him. And now... Everything disappeared. Because of what? Divorce you can't give him that fast. That is my personal opinion, my aim is not to offend you as the king surely rate you highly, so do I.'

Cromwell looked at Wolsey pleased about his proposition.
'It sounds like a wonderful idea, thank you. I talked to my wife not so long ago as she arrived to court and is going to stay here with me for a while. I am absolutely certain she will be delighted. I will talk to her as soon as possible. And about our topics to discuss... Yes, there are many things we can talk about. Our work!' smiled widely.
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 9:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It was late in the evening while Wolsey still worked on to deal with all other matters, which also needed attention, trial or no trial.
A servant entered with more papers and parchments to read and he looked up for a moment.

'Send me sir Thomas More, I need to see him right now! I know he works late too, so he should still be up. Go, please!' He waved him out of the room and leaned back on the documents.
Back to top Go down
Geoffrey Lonshord
Servant
Geoffrey Lonshord

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Geoffrey entered in the Cardinal's study room and bowed

Your Eminence...sir Thomas More is here...
Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Wolsey looked up and recognized Geoffrey, who he had treated badly only recently.
'Ahh... master Geoffrey, thank you for announcing him. But before you show him in, I have something for you, as I promised you... the other day!'

He stood up, opened a closet door and brought forth something, smiling widely while he gave it to him.
'I hope you like this.... you can wear it in your pocket everywhere you go!'

Back to top Go down
Geoffrey Lonshord
Servant
Geoffrey Lonshord

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Geoffrey looked astonished at the clock. He didn't know what to say. He raised his eyes to him and shook his head

Oh...Your Eminence. I can't accept such gift. I...I don't deserve it...

He said hesitantly. But he noticed that Wolsey was looking firmly at him, and he realized that the Cardinal wouldn't have accepted a refusal. Then he took the clock from his hands, smiled and knelt before him

Thank you, Your Eminence. You can always count on me. I'll be your humble servant...whatever it happens...

He added, lowering his eyes. Then he looked up at him, and kissed gratefully his hand while standing up. He smiled again, bowed with his head and left the room
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 pm

As Thomas saw Geoffrey coming out from Wolsey's study, he walked inside room. He smiled and bowed slightly with his head

Dear Wolsey...did you want to see me?

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Wolsey smiled widely at Geoffrey, he enjoyed his astonishment at the sight of the clock, a new and rare instance but when he fell to his knees before him and kissed his hand he helped him quickly to stand up again.

'No, I thank you, master Geoffrey, for your patience and... understanding. I appreciate your words deeply and hope you will enjoy this clock, which tells you the hours of the day, in my opinion an indispensible tool for a man as busy as you are!'

He bowed his head slightly and smiled while Geoffrey left the room and walked to the door to welcome sir More.

'Ahh.... my good friend More, please come in!' He bowed his head, made an inviting gesture and walked before him into his study again, to a table with a jug of wine.
'I was just about to drink a good glass... can I offer you some wine, too?'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 10:33 pm

Thomas shook slowly his head while smiling slightly

Not for me...Thank you...

He answered. Then he looked around room, wondering what's he needed, this time

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 am

´No.... of course... you don´t drink...´
He poured himself some wine with a shaking hand and drank in silence, ordening his mind, then turned to him again.

'Listen Thomas, I have a mission for you. The French and the armed forces of the Emperor halted the hostilities. There will be a consultation in France, in a town named Cambrai, between their negotiators and representatives of the Pope.'

He drank some more wine.

'I tried to persuade His Majesty to let me attend this consultation... but His Majesty insists that my presence here is necessary at the moment.' He looked him sharply in the eyes and frowned deeply.
'So I need you to go there and prevent them from making peace!' he took a handkerchief and wiped his forehead.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Thomas listened carefully at him. Then he frowned a bit and came closer his desk

Yes, of course...I understand...

He said while nodding slowly, rather perplexed

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Wolsey looked at him, thoughtful, then he noticed he wiped his forehead with Joan's handkerchief. He folded it carefully and put it back in his pocket, took some steps and reached for a paper from his desk. He turned back to More while he held it in his hand, like a shield.

´What matters is that there may be no agreement between the parties! Francis, king of France, assured me personally that he will never, under no circumstances, make peace with the emperor!´ he waved the paper in his hand.

'Similarly, there should be no rapprochment between the emperor and the Holy Father! You must understand that in that case it will become impossible for the Pope to fulfill the king's wishes!' he looked almost begging at him, knowing very well that More was not on his side concerning the separation.
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Thomas looked at the paper in his hand. Then he rubbed softly his chin and let out a deep sigh. Wolsey was sending him to Cambrai, to prevent a peace between Francis and the Emperor! Even if perplexed, he decided not to show his doubts and nodded slowly

Of course...especially after Charles made him prisoner. And...is there something else? I mean...more than this?

He asked, wondering what he wanted to obtein from such "operation"

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 am

Wolsey took another sip of his wine, his hand was shaking. He lowered his head and sighed deeply.

´Yes.... there is something else. Try to find out through his representatives - in a subtle way - if the emperor is planning to use... force to support his aunt!' he bited his lips.
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Thomas raised suddenly his eyes and looked directly at him. He frowned a bit

Do you think...he could invade England in order to support the Queen?

He asked worriedly, trying to hide his trembling voice

Back to top Go down
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey
Archbishop of York
Cardinal Thomas Wolsey

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 am

Wolsey waved his hand, meanwhile shaking his head as well.

'I don't think anything! But I imagine everything...'

He stared at the ground, in thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Thomas More
Courtier
Thomas More

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 pm

Thomas nodded silently. Then he took the paper from his hands and stared at it for a while

As you wish, Cardinal. I'll go to Cambrai, then...I'll try to do my best...

He finally said, raising his eyes to him
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wolsey's study   Wolsey's study - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wolsey's study
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next